Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Holby City" actress dies

• 20-06-2003 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

I've never even watched an episode but i presume this may be of interest to some

full story
    LONDON (Reuters) - "Holby City" star Laura Sadler has died in hospital after falling from the second-floor balcony of a London house, Charing Cross Hospital says.

Sadler, 22, fell in the Holland Park area early on Sunday morning and had been in hospital in a critical condition ever since.

"We regret to announce the death of Laura Sadler. She died peacefully at 5:33 p.m. on 19 June, 2003. Her family were present at the bedside," a hospital spokesman said on Thursday.

Police on Monday said they had arrested a 30 year-old-man -- identified by police sources as the actress's on-screen boyfriend George Calil -- later releasing him on bail to return in mid-July.

Sadler started her acting career aged six and later featured in the school-soap "Grange Hill". She also appeared in films such as "Jane Eyre" and made numerous stage appearances.

Calil, who played Sadler's drug-dealer boyfriend Sean Hunt, is best known for his role in the Second World War TV-epic "Band of Brothers".

"Everyone at Holby City, and indeed, across the BBC, are devastated by this news, said Mal Young, BBC Controller of Drama Series.

"Laura was a much loved, talented and respected actress. She brought so much to the role with her infectious enthusiasm, dedication and 100 percent professionalism. Television has lost a talent who had so much more to give," Young added.

At the request of her family and as a tribute to her, Laura will continue to appear in Holby City for the remaining eight episodes she had already filmed, the BBC said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it is really sad to hear of someone so young dying like that

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

She used to be in Grange Hill which I can remember watching as a kid after school .... Terrible loss ; I think it really bad taste the way "The Sun" reported (upon hearing of her accident) "She was snorting Cocaine" ... I think that sort of Journalism about someone who is dying or critical can only hurt her close family and friends and I don't see any point in it other than bad taste and sensationalism , "The Sun" should be ashamed .....:rolleyes:

May she Rest in Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Its a real shame. She was a very promising young actress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by LizardKing
    "The Sun" should be ashamed

The sun in bad journalism shocker??

Surely not the same paper which ran the headline "Thieving Scouse Scum" after the Hillsborough disaster? Surely not the same paper which ran the headline "Murdering Irish Bastards"? Surely not the same paper which rabidly supported the war in Iraq and labelled anyone who disagreed as peaceniks, hippys and communists.

Surely not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But was it an accident.......?:eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Surely not the same paper which ran the headline "Thieving Scouse Scum" after the Hillsborough disaster? Surely not the same paper which ran the headline "Murdering Irish Bastards"? Surely not the same paper which rabidly supported the war in Iraq and labelled anyone who disagreed as peaceniks, hippys and communists.
    You missed the "Gotcha". Lovely people at the currant bun.

And from everything2.com:
    Some memorable Sun headlines:

If Kinnock wins tonight will the last person to leave Britain please turn out the lights (on eve of the General Election. Kinnock's Labour party did not win, and by the time Blair came to power The Sun had changed allegiance)

Up yours, Delors (re: the ECU)

Freddie Starr ate my hamster (I think this one speaks for itself)

Stick it up your Junta (re: war with Argentina over The Falkland Islands)

I two-timed Tory bonker with a Russian Banker

No-nobby bobby keeps jobby: Force let sex-swap PC become WPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lemondrop

Its an awful shame to see such a young life ending like that. even weirder b/c thats how her character in Grange Hill was written out of the show. The sun could have reported with a bit more respect for her and espically her family. When my uncle was killed in a work accident, it was on the news and in papers and all that. it was so hard to hear the insensitiveness of all the reporters and having to hear it over and over again. I have heard the cocaine aspect from a few different sources but it didnt need to be reported like that.
    Well, it is the sun....should we expect anyhting different?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

If people have problems with the Sun, they just shouldn't buy it. I think that there has to be a niche in the media for that type of thing, because it's what people think. And, as for the headlines, now that is a talent. Respected journalists work hard and plod away in the attempt to get a good story, but you can't work at the talent of writing good headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    it is really sad to hear of someone so young dying like that

RIP
    I'm with you on that one man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The sun in bad journalism shocker??

Surely not?

That wouldnt be the same sun that two weeks after castigating the BBC for bad taste over showing the dead bodies of two british soldiers on BBC2 doccumentary about war coverage decieded to put the death throws of a footballer on thier front page?

the same sun that superimposed Hamza over a picture of the space shuttle explosion .

The same sun whose editor printed out an inaccurate list of padophiles adresses in the News of the World which led to vigilantism and attacks upon persons and property at said addresses.

The same sun that pays littlejohn a million pound a year to print thinly vieled race hate,homophobia and in some cases unsubstantiated BNP electrol allegations such as sunderland council providing asylum seekers with petrol and cars.

BTW any one notice how the right wing dont even bother to dress up their xenophobia attacks on asylym seeker with a pretence of differentiation between "bogus" and genuine anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement