Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OEM and where to buy OSes?

Options
  • 20-06-2003 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was checking out elara.ie and they have a note saying in their software section that you can only buy OEM software with a new PC. Is that just them or can you only buy all OEM software with new PCs? I was thinking I might buy Windows 2000 for my computers, where'd be the best place to buy it - I thought itdirect.ie - can anyone suggest any other places?
    Thanx,
    Calman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

You could try www.Komplett.ie they have OEM OS's
    You may have to buy a piece of hardware to go with the software though. I believe that's the way the OEM stuff works, you must buy hardware with the OEM or else they can't sell it to you. It's something like that anyway.
    There was a discussion on OEM here last week I think. Look up that thread and check what was said about it all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When the courts finally decided that forcing manufacturers to pay a royalty on every PC they sold whether it had M$ software on it on not was totally illegal, they had to start a new racket.

OEM means the license is NOT transferrable - hence you have to buy ANOTHER licence if you upgrade your PC. In typical m$ speak this is marketed as a REDUCTION in license costs. (The cost of an individual license is lower - but you need to buy more of them per user over time... so in real terms it is a Hidden INCREASE in costs)

Similar tatics are used to force companies to buy XP pro 'cos it's deen dumbed down so it can't use company networks easily.,

Another racket on the APPS side is to change the terms and conditins every few years.. eg: can no longer use Cirtix / TS to save on licenses if connecting to an MSSQL server.

Bottom line - read the license

Another way OEM is used is to give it at a fraction of the retail cost to BIG computer manufacturers - ie. squeeze out the small guy... - WINTELL = Windows + Intel + DELL

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

i was able to buy direct off the ms store. no h/w reqs or anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sometimes places have older liceses left - or you may pick up a secondhand PC with an OEM licnese which you can upgrade...

The other option is to buy XP licenses and install 2K (think you can still do that ) - this saves you the cost of upgrading to XP later... (note: if you buy a home license you can;t install PRO )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

cheers people. how do u search for oem on boards - it says the minimum length for a word must be 4 characters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Here's the other topic

OEM????

How do you buy an individual license without buying the software?

Advertisement