Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Data Consolidation Question

Options
  • 20-06-2003 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Need some help consolidating excel data. I hope someone out there can help me...

At the very simplest level I have a spreadsheet laid out as follows:

ID, Email Address, Count
    1, a@b.com,10
    1, a@b.com,5
    1, a@b.com,3
    2, x@y.com,14
    2, x@y.com, 2
    2, x@y.com, 7
    3, t@u.com, 1
    3, t@u.com, 3

I need to consolidate the count column into a total, so the spreadsheet would look like this:

ID, Email Address, Count
    1, a@b.com, 18
    2, x@y.com, 23
    3, t@u.com, 4

Whats the easiest way of doing this? Bear in mind that there is alot more data than this, and there are almost 50,000 records....

- Dave.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

data - sort -subtotal - at each change in email address use function SUM (rather than count )

well that's how you do it in www.openoffice.org
    it's a 54MB download once Vs. €600 per user to get M$ office std ...
    (and it opens corrupt excel sheets and you can tell it to always make backup copies when saving all types of files)

Excel - tip - File - SAVE AS - look in the options and select "always create backup copy" - all other excel files will still not save backup copies..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tried that.... I ran out of rows. There are about 59,000 rows in the spreadsheet (probably 50,000+ unique addresses), so I hit the 65535 row limit....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 3D

I you dont have to do it in excel then import it into access and do it simply using a query

Advertisement