Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instructions to tender for the MSE released.

Options
  • 20-06-2003 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

The "Intructions to Tender" for the Managed Services Entity (MSE) that is to run the government's nationwide fibre "New Connections" network, (the one to give us all 10mbps over the next few years!) has been released and are available here.

It's a weighty tome, a right riveting read though!
    Attention is called again to the fact that, having considered the matter carefully, the Minister has concluded that, in order to stimulate the market appropriately, existing (as of 15 August 2003) holders of Irish Telecommunications Licences or of a general authorisation (as applicable) and their parents, subsidiaries, persons having a significant or controlling interest in such entities and other associated companies should be excluded from selection as MSE.

Wow! Does this mean that he has decided that all existing holders have shown they are unable to "to stimulate the market appropriately"!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Feck off Denis O'Brien in polite legalese.
    Basic Licencees not deemed to be too 'connected' to the General Licencees could punt for this contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Does Dinny still have a licence? I thought he's shifted all his Irish telco holdings.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

So would Devore be in a position to put a consortium together...in relation to this thread..

Boards.ie ISP?

or am i off track altogether?

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    So would Devore be in a position to put a consortium together...in relation to this thread..

Boards.ie ISP?

or am i off track altogether?

He made me sign the NDA (in duplicate, and got really thick with me about my solicitors expired personal email cert) before I could tell you lot about the plan which is to....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Nope, the MSE is not permitted to provide retail offerings. It's for wholesale provision only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

This whole project is bollox.

opinions?

no

If I lived in Dublin I would be entitled to think so.

As I don't live in Dublin I don't agree with you on this Flav

I may start to agree with you if the MSE (aka Telecom Éireann #2 ) cannot come up with a mechanism to sell fractional STM1 pipes from the off. Time will tell.

M

Indeed. It /is/ bollocks, but unfortunately we'll just have to work around it. Anyway, sure it it wasn't for the Bran Donuts, I'd have nowhere to hang me aerials.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Rumour has it that;

1) The MSE may look to link all of the MAN's by buying dark fibre of ESB or a mixture of Aurora, Chorus, etc.
    2) The MSE will light some fibre and offer managed bandwidth to telco's not wishing to light it themselves.
    3) Hibernia Atlantic will be the Anchor Tenant for most of the Tenderers.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Indeed. It /is/ bollocks,

flav0rflav and Adam (less so Adam in fairness, who has made is position amply clear on muliple occasions).

I would be grateful if you could expand on your position,
    its not sufficent to make comments like 'its all bollox' without qualification. Indeed it may be bollox, but if you are going to call it such, you need to tell us why.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thegills
    Rumour has it that;

1) The MSE may look to link all of the MAN's by buying dark fibre of ESB or a mixture of Aurora, Chorus, etc.
    2) The MSE will light some fibre and offer managed bandwidth to telco's not wishing to light it themselves.
    3) Hibernia Atlantic will be the Anchor Tenant for most of the Tenderers.

thegills

1. I should hope so.
    2. There's me fractions, what fractions by any chance?
    3. Who/What is Hibernia Atlantic beyond this stupendously elegant Flash enabled Website of Theirs

Thanks

M

Ok, bollocks is a little extreme, I take that back, but essentially the fibre rings project is duct tape lashed around a broken market. Moreover it's shoddy duct tape bought from a guy in a sheepskin jacket. It was badly developed, and it's being badly implemented. Badly developed because, as we've discussed many times, very little thought was given to how to get from the pipe to the gaff. Badly implemented because we still don't have pipes, and we're only now looking for someone to manage the project. Cart. Horse. Hello.

All that being said, as I suggested above, it's the best thing we've got available to us at the moment and we have to work with what we've got, because downing tools and whinging about it isn't going to change anything. The problem is that the project is almost entirely reliant on innovation and new entrants, but: a) Ireland isn't exacly famous for innovation in the comms market; and b) getting money for a rollout is proving more difficult that it should be.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Muck

3. Who/What is Hibernia Atlantic beyond this stupendously elegant Flash enabled Website of Theirs
    The amount of information I got from that website is incredible....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://news.corporate.findlaw.com/prnewswire/20030404/04apr2003205535.html
    VANCOUVER, Wash. and DUBLIN, Ireland, April 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Columbia Ventures Corporation (CVC) announced today that its subsidiaries have completed the purchase of a state-of-the-art 12,200 kilometer fiber optic submarine cable system connecting North America with Europe. Formerly known as 360atlantic, the assets were sold pursuant to Canadian court approval as part of a reorganization plan involving 360networks. CVC has renamed the system Hibernia Atlantic.

More Intl. Bandwidth. Huzzah.

Because I can't see the point of it at the current time.

The problem is that ordinary people are not able to get broadband because of the cost of the last mile, not the backhaul. There is lots of fibre already all around the country. The last mile is the bottleneck. Putting down more fibre is not solving the current problem. OK, it'll probably be usefull at some point in the future, but not right now. Of course it won't solve anything till it's finished - next year? year after?

I fell it is purely a political move giving the political benefits of appearing to be taking action and putting lots of money in the pockets of builders, business men and no doubt, via envelops, county councillors. (is that libelous?)

The government spent money building all of this before - eircom. Now it's doing the same again, and not solving a problem.

I wanted to see what other people's considered opinions were before voicing my own.

Don't you thnk there's a bit of a difference between the existing dark fibre and this though flav? We haven't a hope in hell of getting Esat to light that fibre up (although we effing well paid for it), but won't this stuff be different?

I agree with you on timescales by the way. I'm rarely surprised by the slowness of public projects, but when it comes to urgency...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Hibernia Atlantic bought the old 360Networks facility. They are very active on the market at the moment with a view to selling unlimited bandwidth and international connectivity to anybody who wants it. If they can broker a deal with the MSE then they will be able to affer these services to all companies serviced by the MAN's.
    The problem is that ordinary people are not able to get broadband because of the cost of the last mile, not the backhaul.
    It is the cost of the backhaul that is preventing the IBB's of this world setting up shop outside of Dublin which isn't run by the duopoly.
    Putting down more fibre is not solving the current problem
    Putting down 'Carrier-Neutral' fibre we hope will solve the problem
    Of course it won't solve anything till it's finished - next year
    The MSE should be in place by October. Once they sign a deal with the DCMNR they will be anxious to make a return on their investement and will be looking to market any fibre on any MAN that is complete.
    the fibre rings project is duct tape lashed around a broken market. Moreover it's shoddy duct tape bought from a guy in a sheepskin jacket. It was badly developed, and it's being badly implemented
    Can you back up these claims with some hard facts?? How can you tell they are being badly implemented and how the hell can you tell that the materials are shoddy??
    Badly implemented because we still don't have pipes
    Have you any idea what it costs to get FTTH. In Sweden e9Bn was spent on this, where do you think we are going to get that sort of cash in Ireland. These rings are aimed at SOHO / SME / LE not the gamers of this world. This has always been that case.

thegills

Originally posted by thegills
    These rings are aimed at SOHO / SME / LE not the gamers of this world. This has always been that case.

Well then, it's not solving the big problem, of Ireland being miles behind in general take up of broadband. And, as I suggested, is the government putting money in the pockets of business men, who are not providing a national solution.

Don't you get it? It's not just for business. It's a whole new media! (medium?)

Who are all these business going to have as clients? Other businesses sure, but that's not using broadband fully, and not what is ahppening in other countries, where it is ordinary home users (and gamers) that are driving it.

How can you tell they are being badly implemented

By opening my eyes? We have Dermot Ahern wandering around the country launching non-existent fibre. We have him doing this /before/ an MSE is in place, a classic O'Rourke tactic of milking it for all it's worth. Stop pissing about with PR, get to work.

how the hell can you tell that the materials are shoddy??

Who said anything about materials? (Duct tape is a metaphor.)

Have you any idea what it costs to get FTTH.

Who said anything about FTTH? I was talking about the actual pipes, the ones that Dermie's wandering around pretending he can see. But while we're on the topic of the last-mile, can you point us in the direction of the documents that discuss this element of the fibre-rings proposals? I'm sure Muck would have pointed this critical aspect out if it was out there, but perhaps Muck missed something! Ye gods!

These rings are aimed at SOHO / SME / LE not the gamers of this world.

They're "aimed at SOHO / SME"? I hope you're not telling us that the MSE is going to dictate the market of the LE's? I fear we'd have to kick up a nasty fuss if that were the case.

adam /poised over his domreg cp

ISTR that each ring has 144 pairs of Multimode fibre ...even Kiltimagh.

FTTH is not included in any of the proposals.

M

• Advertisement

Can someone point me to the government docs/statements justifying/rationalising these rings?

Of course it's allready under way.

[edit]
    this is the 'brochure' http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/files/NDP%20Man%20Brochure%20Version%2034.doc

1. The government did a call for proposals.

2. The government went with a proposal to bring carrier neutral fibre to all 123 towns with apopulation of over 1500 persons.

3. The announcement is Here with the list of towns and some background to assist in the research.

Google is your friend. Search for mary o'rourke for starters.

M

Commenting on the programme, Minister O’ Rourke stated: "The first two phases will expand broadband to one million people. Effectively what we are doing is providing initially key regional towns with quality and cheap access to the information superhighway. This initiative will provide a boost to industry, business and, more importantly, allow the consumers and educational institutes high speed, quality access."

"We have been working on this project since last year and Government provided the final go-ahead yesterday. This initiative will push Ireland into the top ten of OECD countries for broadband connectivity."

"We have the international links, we have in place significant backbone or inter-county links but what we have been lacking is the final last kilometers of fibre in towns itself. This rectifies that."

ps. sorry for arriving late.

ahh yes.

you are confusing the issue of Mary O'Rourke saying , word for word.

"We have been lacking is the final last kilometers of fibre in towns itself. This rectifies that."

with Mary O'Rourke understanding what she was saying or thought she was saying. Mary is a known afflictee of Foot in Mouth disease. The rings were always rings, not a radial structure to the home and business. There are to be 'drop points' at various stages where one could gain access.

There WAS another report which proposed FTTH remedies going forward. This report was from the Department of the Taoiseach and was compiled by Civil Servants and published around the time O'Rourke announced her fibre rings. It did indeed suggest FTTH strategies but Martin Cullen has sat on his arse and done nothing about Local Authority Guidelines and Building Regulations to make it happen.

The Report is Here (27 pages) and the page you should look at is 22/23

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Original reaction on this thread when that O'Rourke press release came out.

From one of my posts in that thread a year-and-a-quarter ago:
    And since the Irish government seems to be telling us we're underway, we're up-and-running, we're ready to go, where's this "public/private partnership company"? Shouldn't that have been formed last week, had several meetings, and be negotiating with contractors as we speak?
    Repating myself, repeating myself, repeating myself...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

How about trying just for a minute to be positive about this. There is potential here to make the situation better in at least the nineteen towns where these rings are being provisioned.
    Why not hope that there is a least a good possibility that the winner of the MSE contract will do as asked in the bid document?
    Please don't come back with 'what about the other 100 odd towns in phases two and three' or 'what about everyone else'.
    Right now, unless some benevolent billionaire buys Eircom and makes the network available to everyone, this is the best chance for the country to take a real step forward.

Fibre in the hood will be available by early next year rather than fibre to the home....if you live in one of those 19 towns (+ Kiltimagh ) . IWB has accentuated the positive in reminding us of that.

The next stage , IMO, is to ensure that County and City Development plans mandate carrier neutral ducting to new homes and offices and that the UK building regulations on ducting in apartment blocks makes its way into our building regulations....pronto.

In Galway you have an ongoing project to lay gas main and fibre in the same holes. The planners in the City have not required developers to either

1. Incorporate Gas pipes from each accomodation unit to the kerb or

2. Incorporate CATV or similar cable to the kerb either

In order to connect the home to the main system.

That makes 19 separate arguments with 19 local authorities in 19 towns over the next few years.

Frankly, I have very little hope for the planners in Galway who strike me as a bunch of muppets . The only city in Ireland that seems to have developed a systemic view of this issue is Limerick so we should find out what they propose to do and get it into our local plans by expeditiously copying and pasting (if we get the nod of course).

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

If we were to assume that by sometime early next year the MSE will be in place and will need to make a return on its investment, it will be looking to sell as much bandwidth as possible. In all nineteen towns, people should be looking into ways to maximise this.
    Inexpensive backhaul should attract wireless operators, existing or new to the area which will help to solve the problem. As the rings are quite well placed around the towns, no one is too far from the fiber so the radios can be quite local. All of us can help this to happen.
    One of the wireless providers once told me the two things preventing them from moving outside Dublin are backhaul and customers. If the backhaul is fixed, local groups can get together and provide the customers.
    So, if we were to think positively and decide that the backhaul will be available, the providers will appear and in a year from now, there will be at least one wireless provider in all of these towns, offering a high speed (or maybe even broadband) service to most homes and businesses in the area.

• Advertisement

There's going to be a lot of network jiggery-pokery when these fibre rings come on-stream. Now's the time to be rolling out wireless networks, next year's too late, so I reckon we'll be seeing all those networks go down round about the same time while they drop the leased lines and get hooked up to the rings. And of course the droids in Eircom (spit), Esat (fart) and MCI (puke) will be working overtime trying to hold onto them. Interesting times ahead. ;)

By the way iwb, the only person in this thread who's expressed explicit malice about the fibre rings in flav (I did too, but I wasn't being entirely serious). If you read the thread fully you'll see that for the most part we're happy that /something's/ being done. I reserve the right to bitch about it though, because it's not just imperfect, it's fúcked up, and has been from the start.

adam

Advertisement