Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instructions to tender for the MSE released.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

.. and I started shouting because I came to the party late.

I'm inclined to remove my bollox from the mashed potato, as it is certainly good to have fibre rings around rural towns enabling massive bandwidth to all areas of the country at some point in the future.

I see the UK have 6 meg available now.
    Bulldog have upped the speed stakes for ADSL on their LLU exchanges by now offering a 6Mbps downstream, 400kbps upstream service for £99.99+VAT, called PrimeTime 6000.

Whilst this is currently only available on 35 exchanges in the central London area.
    from adslguide.org.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    If you read the thread fully you'll see that for the most part we're happy that /something's/ being done. We reserve the right to bitch about it though, because it's not just imperfect, it's fúcked up, and has been from the start.
    I don't think there's any established consensus on that. I think there's recognition that the project is limited in scope and that it's been hyped beyond what it will deliver, but I don't think it is fundamentally fúcked up.

Your suggestion that the MSE should have been established in Q1 2002 when these rings were at the planning phases is a little mad if you don't mind me saying so. Few companies would be willing to commit to something while the rings are being planned and laid by the local authorities and those that might be would expect to be compensated accordingly. It makes far more sense to do it now, when there will be some fibre rings to administrate.

There seems to be a general tendency to knock everything without giving it any thought. A lot of things were knocked that have proved significant later.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

You're just not living up to your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for your clarification. I know it wasn't all negative but my reading of the thread led me to comment that way as that is the way the thread feels.
    Anyway, my main point is that we all can do something, especially if we live in those towns. Even if we don't, we can try to support any initiatives in the towns. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Would you agree Adam ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    You're just not living up to your name.
    There's a difference between knocking everything that comes along and scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Folks, it all boils down to money. The Local Authorities (LA) in Limerick are making provisions for ducting on new developments. But the issue of cost always comes to the fore. In Limerick, SBL has argued that through the MSE, the LA can generate revenue from their ducting by 'attaching' them to the MAN network. The LA's are coming around to this, but they are on the whole cash-starved.

When we talk to large wireless operators they ask us to show the demand. When we talk to the Leap's and IBB's of this world they are more concerned with the backhaul. We are convinced that once the MAN infrastructure is in place then these companies will build base stations in Limerick. Adittedly it's not a fat pipe to the home but it will get the demand side rolling.

Another thing to remember is that building these MAN's will extend the fibre reach into the community hence offering opportunities like PON's and higher DSL products.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

SBL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't think there's any established consensus on that.

Once again, my mistake. I realised that "we" was stretching things a little when I was typing it but forgot to go back and fix it. Broadband has me ruined for Boards, I've spent the past week going round in circles looking for things to post about. Must learn control. :)

Your suggestion that the MSE should have been established in Q1 2002 when these rings were at the planning phases is a little mad if you don't mind me saying so. Few companies would be willing to commit to something while the rings are being planned and laid by the local authorities and those that might be would expect to be compensated accordingly. It makes far more sense to do it now, when there will be some fibre rings to administrate.

Well, considering the amount of money we're talking about, actually setting the company up would be a pittance, so:

- What about planning? Couldn't the year have been hugely productive?
    - Isn't it possible that a little more pressure might speed things up a bit?

There seems to be a general tendency to knock everything without giving it any thought.

I think we've had plenty of time to think about it SkepticOne. :)

adam

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I don't think there's any established consensus on that.
    Damn straight. This is the first real ray of hope I for one have seen for quite some time. As long as it was an abstract concept, I was fairly skeptical myself, but now that you can't move in Ballina without falling into a MAN trench, it's starting to feel real.

• Advertisement

and tell me OscarB

what about the Mayo County Development Plan, how real is that ?

does Mayo County Council know what to do with the fibre now its in?

M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    what about the Mayo County Development Plan, how real is that ?
    The draft document is 50 meg, I'm not downloading thon!
    Not by the looks of things. :( From the Ballina Draft Development Plan for 2003:
    All major routes into Ballina currently have fibre optic trunk lines. Details for the provision of
    a broadband communications network within the town are currently being finalised and it is
    envisaged that work on laying this cable network will commence during 2002.
    Telecommunications infrastructure providers are confident that they can meet the needs of
    the town in terms of its future population and industrial growth, should the need arise for
    additional telecommunications infrastructure over the plan period.
    Not exactly timely, is it?

Time to ring the local councillor, methinks. Sigh. As if I hadn't enough to do...!

That is a great help, I assume the planners rang Biddy down the Eircom office for that. I would first ask the planners in Ballina (or is that Castlebar :D) which telecoms suppliers they mean in that statement and whether I could see the original text of the ássurances given? I strongly suspect that no such written assurances exist.....anywhere. Nor is there fibre out the Dunmore West road to Sligo ISTR so the statement is somewhat suspect.

A committment to assisting local efforts (fasttracking masts for antennae for community owned networks fo example) or regulations on ducting on new estates, that would be a help too.

Otherwise the fibre will repose elegantly in the ground, unused.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

fasttracking masts for antennae for community owned networks fo example
    Does the new communications Bill not help there. There are loads of planning exemptions for certain types of structures. The problem is with the site owners who have this concern over the H&S isues. On the one hand everyone wants broadband but on the otherhand they don't want masts and roads being dug up.
    They don't have to. the MSE will manage the fibre. All MAN's have been designed to link into the surrounding infrastructure (In Limerick; Esat BT, eircom, WDC, Chorus, ESBT, Aurora).
    If the n/w design is good then the route should be designed to pick up the main base stations / masts in the town, as well as high buildings. This will offer fibre backhaul for 3G services as well as any WLAN / FWA offerings.

thegills

SBL = Shannon Broadband Limited

Advertisement