Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI hercules 8500 crashing

• 20-06-2003 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have recently purchased an ATI 8500 AGP graphics card. I installed the graphics card into the AGP slot on my PC. I had been previously using the onboard graphics card, but checked first that this was automatically disabled when an AGP card was inserted.
    I booted up the machine and proceeded to install the drivers. I restarted the PC and all seemed to be working well until I tried to run any games on the PC. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them again. I installed directx8 instead of directx9 to see if that was the problem, again this proved unsucessful.I downloaded several drivers from the internet and each had no effect.I downloaded a beta driver last night, but yet again the game crashed. I don't think its a compatability issue, because the motherboard is a Gigabyte motherboard and as far as I know supports the 8500,

any advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Have you anything plugged into your PCI 1 slot? This shares irq settings with the AGP slot as far as I known can cause prolems if you have a sound card plugged in it? What is the AGP voltage set to in the bios?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I had a similar problem which I traced back to having 98 installed, but the mobo seemed to like xp.

It continued acting the maggot wgen playing games, I had to take an image of it, which I replace every once in a while when it starts to play up again....

It might also be a directx problem, get the latest service pack...

Advertisement