Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains plug on a monitor

• 20-06-2003 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

A monitor I ordered from the UK just arrived, but instead of the usual three pronged plug, it had a two pronged mainland europe plug.

The plug is moulded so I can't unscrew it to fit another plug on the cable. Whats the best way to get the monitor working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Buy a 3 pin plug
    cut the cable at the existing plug
    put the 3pin plug on the cable
    Remembering
    brown left
    Blue Right
    Green middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Chances are there will only be 2 wires, brown and blue. The earth is the top pin (one thats missing), should be ok leaving this out. Either that or pick up a new lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if you don't want to cut the wire, you can get a 2 pin plug adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You can get a 2pin adaptor in most electrical shops, but the monitor power cable is totally standard cable - mite try to get a new one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

[IMG]http://www.thediyworld.co.uk/wired plug with fuse.jpg[/IMG]
    Although often two-pin plugged wires can be wired either way to live/neutral, the above is technically correct ;)

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Thanks, I'll get a replacement plug tomorrow.

FYI it's an Hitachi 17" TFT with 16ms response time.. i don't want it being inadvertantly fried :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

US plugs can be bad for this. -

Make sure the plugs IS 401 - better still IS 401A
    Irish Std 401 (the A plugs are for rougher handling)

Also you'll probably need to get a 5A fuse - cos the new plug will come with a 13 Amp one...

NO - YOU CAN'T MIX LIVE AND NEUTRAL PINS

Use the colours in the other post - note all wires have different lenghts - personally I like the to give most slack on the Earth - a little on the Neutral and least on the live - that way if the wires are pulled out then less chance of only the live wire being connected..

E - Big pin = green+yellow
    L - Fuse = Brown / Red
    N - Other = Blue / Black

(Don't quote me on this but I think it's Neutral = light and Live = Dark for those without colour vision - earth is of course the stripped wire)

(I've seen Blue and Black as the only wires on some old cables - no earth !)

The on/off switch & fuse are always on the live wire - the appliance is on the neutral side - if it was on the neutral then every circuit in a switched off appliance would be LIVE. (This is another reason I hate soft power / standby)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I got an adapter for it today, tried out the monitor, i'm well amazed.

There is one faulty pixel on the monitor about half way from the center to the right border. It's stuck in a kind of turqois colour.

What is the frequency of monitors that would have pixel defects, are they rare, or is it more rare to find a monitor with none whatsoever.

i'm not complaining as you have to scrutinize the monitor up close to see the pixel.It's only 1 pixel out of 1'310'720 of them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

I think three dead pixels is the accepted tolerance level for manufacturers.

I've been at a few monitors that have a dead pixel. It's irritating but not as bad as the two fine horizontal lines across some of the CRTs I've been at.

Yup, those adaptors are real handy. You should probably change the fuse in it to a 5amp for a level of safety.

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It was in another thread a while back if I remember - if not then look up tom's hardware

bad news diff manufacurters have different criteria - and few adhere to the official ones... - if you bought it retail you could try going back.

It also depends on how close they are together and how many coulours affected and whether they are at edges or slap bang in the centre

• Advertisement
Advertisement