Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto refresh Q in IE5?

Options
  • 20-06-2003 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

How do i stop this?

I login into TMT and boards after a 4 day absence and have a million posts to read in wok but i may move away from PC having to work and all and when i come back all the new posts icons are gone.

Is there a client side way to stop that?

Or is it the websites auto refresh?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it's serverside.

If you've been inactive (ie, not clicked any links on boards) for more than a certain amount of time (15 mins I think), it gets rid of the new posts.

It works like this (I would guess):

You click a link. Server checks to see if a cookie is set in your browser. If it is, performs authentication. Then reads a field in the DB, called something like 'last_visit_time', and stores it in a variable. Then updates said field in the DB with the current time.
    Script then checks if the variable it stored, let's call it user_last_visit, is more than x minutes ago. If it is, it resets the session, and all posts are regarded as being 'new', if they have been updated since user_last_visit. If not, it attempts to read from the current session, and gets the info from there to determine which posts are 'new' to you.

That's just a guess.

It's server-side I think is the answer you wanted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thanks ,i wonder if theres a VB option to allow users an option to enable or disable that.

Me runs off to VB genius on TMT :D

kdjac

Advertisement