Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Power Irish Dates From This Sunday...

Options
  • 20-06-2003 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

A few tickets still available for this one... The interview (link below) is worth a read!

CAT POWER with full band
    Plus Special Guest, Entrance

Whelans of Wexford St, Dublin This Sunday, June 22nd '03
    Half Moon, Cork this Monday, 23rd June
    And Auntie Annies in Belfast this Tuesday, 24th June.

CAT POWER (aka Chan Marshall) plays her first Irish shows in over three years to celebrate the release of her fantastic fifth album, 'YOU ARE FREE'.

NME: "Her interpretations are sung and played so uniquely that you couldn't mistake them for being by anyone but her. Marshall's voice, for one, is consistently amazing; it's soft and scratchy like a handful of just-picked cotton, and she knows precisely when to make it swoop up and slice through you.".

Recorded by Adam Kasper (Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam) and featuring contributions from Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder - both avowed Cat Power fans - 'YOU ARE FREE' is Chan's first record of original material since 1998's 'MOON PIX', and sees her at the apex of her talents.

Good Cat Power interview here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/homeentertainment/story/0,12830,961664,00.html

Sample excerpt: Marshall was introduced to seminal American underground bands like Cleveland's Rocket from the Tombs, and literature like Joyce's Ulysses, through an older Atlantan musician who became something of a mentor.

"I used to hang out at a strip club called the Fairmont Lounge, where [legendarily debauched punk singer] GG Allin used to pay a friend of mine £200 to put cheese puffs up his ass," she remembers. "People talk about the Seattle music community, but Atlanta had the same. I was the youngest in our crowd, and for me it was, 'Wow!' You know? There I was, stupid old ding-dong, and to me these local Atlanta bands were the most amazing thing."

Special Guest is ENTRANCE - the public title for the music of Guy Blakeslee, a 21-year-old guitarist, singer and prolific songwriter, formerly bassist for Baltimore's loudest trio, THE CONVOCATION OF.(GSL/Tiger Style).

ENTRANCE willingly admits the influence of Black Sabbath and Delta blues singer Skip James, but has received comparisons to such vastly different artists as Jeff Buckley, Richie Havens, T. Rex, Syd Barrett, Bob Dylan, John Fahey, P.J. Harvey, Ravi Shankar, and even the White Stripes.

Blakeslee released his debut full-length album, the acclaimed 'The Kingdom of Heaven Must Be Taken By Storm, earlier this year.
    The album's released was preceded by a fine ENTRANCE/PAPA M split 7" at the end of last year.

Tickets: €16.50 (inc. booking fee). Doors: 8.00pm.

Advertisement