Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good wine - Under a tenner

• 20-06-2003 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

To be honest I go for wine based on the label. Yes - I'm shallow.

In fact these days I only buy Greek wine, red Greek wine. I love Naussa Boutari, it's a little flavoursome and kinda reminds me of Greece which is always a good thing.

Anyway - what would you recommend (preferably red)? I believe that good wine is possible to be had under €10.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Rosemount Shiraz Cabernet is a beautiful wine.
    It's €9.99 in Tesco.

It's the sort of wine you can drink on it's own or with a meal, yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

mcguigan blacklable merlot or shiraz is tasty @ around e10. its very easy to drink

ducks flat cab (dry red) is nice @ about e9

casillero del diablo merlot is yum @ e10-11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stretch

There's loads under a tenner but tyhe closer you get to a tenner the better the value is likely to be. Price, generally, is a very good guide.

As a rule, and it's a pretty basic one, price does most of the talking, especially between 8 and 18 Euro, meaning the more you spend the better, overall, it's likely to be. The problem is you have so many styles to contend with, but actually, unless you're going to appreciation classes like a loony that's probably not even worth discussing.

Best rule is, Chile for Merlot and Cabernet (reds), South Africa, especially of late, for Sauvignon unless you want to go between 10 and 18, in which case you can't beat New Zealand (white), For Shiraz and Grenache or blends of that and for Chardonnay, Australia has it sown up. Argentina has some pretty good reds under a tenner, go for Bonarda or Malbec there. The Rhone from France will give you quite good value reds but you need to go between 10 and 15 euro, and stick to Croze Hermitage and Vacqeras, maybe take advice from the assistant if you think they know what they're talking about. For good French low cost white go the Vin de Pays de la Jardin du France and get Sauvignon.

Most importantly don't and I repeat, don't, get hung up on brands. Brands are just there so you remember them. Think country before brands and odn't forget that France isn't a plie of ****, nor is italy and spain, it's just that in those places you have to pay more to get something that seems, and frankly is, rewarding. But, once you have glimpsed the

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stretch

Sorry about that..

glimpsed the holy grail, you will be forever huinting it down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Where did you get that Greek wine, Gordon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

Paul Masson 1Litre 9.99 in Tesco
    tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I go to the Oddbins on Baggot Street, Tazz, near the Ouzo restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Having been out of Ireland since the cut-over to the YoYo, I aint sure whether these prices will be below a tenner still, but they should be...

Bulls Blood (of Eger) - Hungarian
    Salice Salentino - Italian
    McGuigan Blacklabel (as mentioned before) - Oz
    t's just that in those places you have to pay more to get something that seems, and frankly is, rewarding.

Not even that true...there's some cracking West-Euro wines (especially Spanish) to be had at low costs, but you do have to hunt for them a bit.

In Italian red, if you have a decent shop, ask if they have a not-too-expensive Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. Forget your Chianti and other light Italian stuff...this is much more solid and full.

Spanish...I tend to go for Tempranillos. AGain, good ones to be had cheaply, and great ones to be had for decent prices.

Oh, and I dunno how much it is, but if its under a tenner, the Jacobs Creep Shiraz-Merlot is worth a bottle now and again.

My recommendation...forget brands, forget labels. Hell, don't pay too much attention to countries yet. Figure out what grapes you like, then go from there. Once you know what grapes you like, find out who does them well. Work from there.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Originally posted by Gordon
    I go to the Oddbins on Baggot Street, Tazz, near the Ouzo restaurant.

Cheers! You can get 24 bottles of it here http://www.greekproducts.com/wine.html? for €126 - then they add on the P&P which is frightening.

I'll try a bottle on the way home tonight and look at the menu at the Ouzo while I'm at it.

Advertisement