Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in the country causing bad power faults?

• 20-06-2003 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

i have the same problem as Highonbread's post below bar a few minor details. ive tried everything but recently i was told that sometimes (very rarely) that there can be power drops (the opposite to power surges) and this could be causing the crashes. this can be caused by...well...by livin in the country. does anyone know of this? its just i dropped in this computer a few days ago into a computer shop and they said he said that he was playing battlefield 1942 (one of the games on which it crashes) all day at high settings without it crashing once. but when i got it back today and tried it out...it crashed...any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In theory the PSU on the computer should handle a modest change voltage automatically - in theory...

Best thing to do is buy a UPS - some of them will also provide info on line voltages etc.

However if you have upgraded the procesor or added lots of new drives . cards to a PC then you may be overloading the PSU - unlikely but if that is the case then a UPS will not help.

Note: the ESB have also been accused of increasing the voltage in the past - your meter measures power not current - one gripe here is that light bulbs only last half as long if the voltage is increased by 5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

im running a amd athlon xp 2600+, a7n8x deluxe, 1x80gb hdd, radeon 9700 pro and 768mb of ram, 7 case fans (ignore that for the time being), cd-rw drive, dvd-drive etc....on a 400w q-tec psu.

i just saw this on komplett.....if i do need one, would this suit?
    also it says it comes with a RS232 serial cable, er....ive never heard of one of these but i assume it'll plug in somewhere without a lot of hassle right?
    cheers

Advertisement