Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Fans : In or out?

• 20-06-2003 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Im about to stick an extra case fan in to cool down my HD's ( they get really hot, just touchable, is that normal?)
    Anyhoo stupid question: Should the case fan blow hot air out or cold air in?
    I really should know this form collage:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

i think either'd be alright but if you blow more air in and dont have enough exhaust fans then that might heat up and cause some problems or if you take hot air out it might take away too much air causing a vacuum and then eventually leading to a black hole that would suck everything in and then you'd be the fault of the entire earth being destroyed....but id say either'd be okay.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

well it depends on how high or low your harddrive is. If its high then blow air out, if its low then take air in. Thats all the advice I can give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Aragorn
    some problems or if you take hot air out it might take away too much air causing a vacuum and then eventually leading to a black hole that would suck everything in and then you'd be the fault of the entire earth being destroyed
    :D

Yes it is very dangerous, nobody knows how many star-systems were destroyed by that fault... ;)

It really depends on how many fans you have in your case.
    Normally you blow a little more air in the case than it is sucked out. This means: you have a bit high pressure in the case and dust and dirt comes only through one hole, and not in your CD/DVD drives or floppys.

But: When you have only the PSU-fan installed than I would say use the fan to blow the air out. Maybe you can install it near your harddrives.
    The best way is to use one (maybe bigger, running with 7 volts) fan blow in the case and a smaller fan in addition to the psu to suck out.
    When you have a high pressure in the case, you can use a air-filter and you avoid the dust in your case ;)

regards,

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Cheers for the replies guys.

I think I will wait and install two fans. One at the back under the psu pushing air in ,and one at the front right of the case pulling air out across the mobo and the harddrives.

Does dust in the case affect the performance or damage any of the componants? Or is it just a cosmetic thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i use these <large img> on all my hds in me server
    keeps them around 25 degrees which is nice, the case has plenty other cooling tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

ya i use those harddrive coolers too, they are good and very quite. you can pick them up on ebay for under €10 i think

or....you could get this. i did and it rips soo much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by Aragorn
    or....you could get this. i did and it rips soo much :D

I'm picking uo the exact same one on monday!

Does it look good and how noisy is it?

its sweet. its reasonable quiet. i mean you'd be very happy with the noise level if you're playing games/listening to music. i got the blue one and yea just looks nuts. *hugs case* "dont ever leave me..." :D

Advertisement