Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking

Options
  • 21-06-2003 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

i have a pentium 4 2.53 Ghz northwood.
    256 sdram installed
    bios version A03 intel
    using xp home service pack 1

what i want to do is start a bit off overclocking on the pc.
    i went into the bios menu i could not see the FSB in there, i can make very little changes in there, poxy dell computers.
    is there anyway getting around that, maybe doing a bios update so at least then i change some of the settings in there :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Don't think you can overclock dells as their bios's don't have the settings to do so.
    You could try soft fsb and see if it has your mainboard listed i wouldn't be very hopeful tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

DEEUUUUOOOODDE! YOU R GOT A DELL! JOO R TEH FSK3D!
    etc.

Piss-poor machines if you want to actually do something with them later on. Fine for a family christmas present etc. or a fleet of em for a company. Useless otherwise.

I've even heard they used proprietary screws, ones which don't twist clock-wise or anti-clockwise....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The processors are so fast now there's no point in overclocking. So you might get a few hundred Mhz out of it but that doesn't matter a toss when you've got 2.5ghz under the hood.

You can look at these PC's at overclocking websites and think how impressive they sound but in reality they're just really ****ing noisy. All those cooling systems give you a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

The processors are so fast now there's no point in overclocking. So you might get a few hundred Mhz out of it but that doesn't matter a toss when you've got 2.5ghz under the hood.
    If you are playing a lot of games and like it to look good you need all the power you can .
    You could buy a 1700XP or a 1.8GHz from intel and overclock them to over 3000XP or 3GHz respectively that is a major difference which you will notice and it doesn't have to be noisy if you have watercooling even air doesn't have to be noisy if you have a good heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by SyxPak
    DEEUUUUOOOODDE! YOU R GOT A DELL! JOO R TEH FSK3D!
    etc.

Piss-poor machines if you want to actually do something with them later on. Fine for a family christmas present etc. or a fleet of em for a company. Useless otherwise.

I've even heard they used proprietary screws, ones which don't twist clock-wise or anti-clockwise....

your right i will sell this pc and build one myself, at least then i will be able to change **** in the pc:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You can salvage you harddrive and cd/dvd/writer, various cards (gfx,sound) and maybe chip from your dell. Your mainboard and case are a write off and im pretty certain the ram is as well.

Advertisement