Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD player problem

Options
  • 21-06-2003 9:42am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I have a Philips DVD player model 711, which I have chipped to allow multi-region viewing (although I don't think that is related to my problem).

My problem is, when I play a disc (of any region), after a while (maybe half way through a movie) it stutters and then just stops and throws me back to the screen you get when you first turn on the player. If I press the skip button to go to the next chapter, the numbers on the display just cycle really quickly and nothing happens.
    If I take the disc out and put it back in, I get a message "Disc Error".
    If I leave the player turned off for a while, it works again (for half a movie).

The first time this happened I thought the disc was dirty, but when I checked it was spotless.

Any ideas, should I get a DVD lens cleaning disc or does it sound more serious (overheating)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

it sounds like the same problem im having with the playstation 2 DVD playvback (not that im comparing) but when i watch some movies with macrovision copy protection it to stops have way through with a disk read error, only happens with macrovision copy protected disks, prime example is the sum of all fears

But ive heard chipping solves it

Regards

Shin

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm not sure how dual-layered DVD's work but is it possible that your player is having problems reading the "other layer"?

I'm assuming that laser reads a layer from inside to the outside edge, then other layer on the way back in

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by shinzon
    it sounds like the same problem im having with the playstation 2 DVD playvback (not that im comparing) but when i watch some movies with macrovision copy protection it to stops have way through with a disk read error, only happens with macrovision copy protected disks, prime example is the sum of all fears

But ive heard chipping solves it

Regards

Shin

It's happening on all my DVDs (well all that I've tried so far).
    How do I tell if the disc has Macrovision, should it say so on the packaging?

Originally posted by byte
    I'm not sure how dual-layered DVD's work but is it possible that your player is having problems reading the "other layer"?

No, it does not appear to be layer related as it swaps layers fine.
    Then when the problem occurs, even if I turn the player off, put a different disc in it still won't read.

Also I got one of those DVD lens cleaner discs.
    Made not an iota of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

have you thought of returning it?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bubba
    have you thought of returning it?

I've had it for about 3 years.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, maybe it's a laser-alignment problem?

I've read elsewhere on Boards similar problems with PS2 and there was a method of realigning the laser (can't remember the link though :( )

Advertisement