Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should my games performance be like this?

• 21-06-2003 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I have a kryo2 64mb (updated from an TNT2) on a p3 500 128ram.

Now im very confused as to why the hell when I updated to the kyro2 i noticed almost no change in my FPS in counter strike..

I mean im still getting 30 fps and lower in active bits in the game.. and for any of you CS'ers out there you know that open bit in aztec looking down into the water.. well i get 25 fps around there..

Now surely there is something wrong here?? Should this card not be running it at, at least 60 fps stable??

Help would be very much appreciated.

oh and by the way im in 640 x 400 res even!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

damn it ment to post this in Technology.. sorry.. might get better help here though anyways..

Heh thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

er....well aside from the fact that IMO those cards are cack (no offence) would that not be all you'd expect? i mean i know the half-life engine's old and most cards run it happily...but....try gettin new drivers. whats the rest of your spec?

rest of my sepc would be windows 2000 i think I have the latest drivers installed.. im using open gl in 640 res..

as said before on a p3 500 128ram..

Ive read reviews of that card and they were all pritty good.. as itr being a low budget car n all .. only cost me 70 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I used to have a P2 450 with a TNT i upgraded to a geforce 3 as i was building a new system and my fps didn't increase much in cs so i must have been cpu bound . You might have a similar problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

hmm but even at 640x480 is should be hittin 60fps regardless...
    try switchin to direct 3d and close all open programs in the background (i assume you're not doing anything huge in the background like....well.....something cpu hungry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech.

(see, I'm not *completely* fascist!)

ehh no the only thing im running in the backround is MSN Messenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Turn off anti-aliasing if it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

My P2 450 with the geforce 3 had bad fps sometimes down to 12 in asault while looking into the building with plenty of shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

fps_max 100??

Yeah, you definetly should be getting more fps then that.
    There are lots of scripts/configs/settings that will increase your fps. Turn off anti-aliasing, and if that doesnt work post on the cs board for fps tips.

• Advertisement

how do I fully disable the AA technology on the kyro2 bord.. i cant seem to find an option

It goes on aobut choosing what type of AA or something but not disableing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yeah you may have a "better" graphics card that your previous but it still depends on your cpu in some cases. take my comp for example, i have a geforce 4 ti 4800se but i'm still using a duron 1.2 gig. duron = bottleneck thus crappy fps. i still only get a max of 50-60fps fluxuating with than 8 - 10 people on screen at once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

half life's fps are almost soley dependent on cpu and a p3 500mhz isn't gonna get much more than 30fps, slapping a geforce fx 5900 ultra won't get the fps much higher. All it enables you to do is make things look a little prettier, but remember half life is 5 years old now, so very little of 3d accelerator's are used when running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have a P3 500MHz, 256 RAM, 32Mb Geforce MX200 and I get on average 50fps in cs using opengl peaks at 100 and I have the settings on quality. I have the lastest detonators for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The problem is that the kyro2 does not have hardware transform and lighting. This means that the card gives the cpu little to no help with its job of drawing triangles. By contrast, all nvidia geforces have this capability, which means slower cpu's get a boost with a geforce.
    The kyro2 is okish with a fast cpu, and it will run the game in high res faster than your old card, but thats it.
    You need to pick up a cheap geforce2 mx or geforce2 gts. Look in boards.ie for sale, post a wanted ad as well, and look in buyandsell category 450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

When Half Life came out, 500Mhz / 128MB RAM was a beast... really think you should be getting more than 30fps. My Duron 900Mhz/KyroII system hits 99fps easily.

/shrug

Definitely enable D3D anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by astrofool
    half life's fps are almost soley dependent on cpu and a p3 500mhz isn't gonna get much more than 30fps, slapping a geforce fx 5900 ultra won't get the fps much higher. All it enables you to do is make things look a little prettier, but remember half life is 5 years old now, so very little of 3d accelerator's are used when running it.

Thats not true. My old PIII 450 used to run fine at about 72-100 with a Geforce 2. That was with some tweaking with NvMax.

ok thanks for all the responses.. I think ill hold out for one more year of this PC and get a beast next year for college.. money saving is going well so far.. so I should be able to set my self up with something nice...

Regards..

Adzzzy.

Advertisement