Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some xbox qs

Options
  • 21-06-2003 4:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, I was just wondering, If i hook up my pc to my xbox using an ethernet wire, what advantages do i have, and is it easy to then play an xbox game through my pc???

also, Im planning on getting broadband for my pc and want to know if i could also use the connection for xbox live, or would i need two seperate connections??

thanks

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Boco

With the xbox OS, hooking your xbox directly to your pc will result in absolutely nothing happening (apart from a few packets passing back and forth saying "wtf is going on here?"). However there are things like xbox connect which you can use to play system link enabled games over the net, bypassing live, but I dont know much about how they work.

With a broadband connection you have a couple of choices. You can hook the modem staright into the back of the xbox and access live that way. However, I assume that most people who have broadband already have PC's hooked up so the second way is to get one of those home lan switch/router jobbies which you can use to share out the single broadband connection to multiple pc's/xboxs, so no need for multiple connections. This is my setup and was fairly easy, even with DHCP turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

If your PC is running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you can also use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share your broadband connection with your XBox. I believe the XP version is better, though I don't know how much better :) You may need to add a second network card to your PC for this method to work if your BB modem is ethernet, but this is often cheaper than a router. If you BB modem is USB, and you already have a network card in the PC, then you don't need anything more than a cross-over network cable. Alternatively, if you have a small network hub/switch, you can just plug the PC and XBox into that.

Generally, I believe that a software-based routing solution such as ICS, and also things like XBoxConnect and Gamespy Tunnel will have a greater latency that a hardware-based solution such as a BB router. However, XBC and Gamespy Tunnel allow you to play things that are not Live-enabled, e.g. Halo, just as if you are playing a LAN game.

Ciarán.

Advertisement