Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Eircom line rental.

Options
  • 21-06-2003 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me why, if esat can unbundle your phone line thereby removing eircoms line rental charges, they can provide your adsl over it but not their phone service.

They can provide you with their phone service and adsl but then you have to lineshare with eircom and pay eircoms rental fee. Seems strange to me.

If esat could do this they could provide a bit of competition on the
    line rental charges..currently €23.05 a month.

The answer i got off esat wasn't very clear...it's unfeasible or not worthwhile or something.
    Anyone got any better info?

______
    C.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've often wondered this myself, and the conclusion I've drawn is that were they to take the entire line off Eircom they'd need to install voice switching gear in the exchange as well as the IP gear. This is probably a bad idea because voice is slowly but surely moving to IP transport, so there's a high risk of them being unable to recoup their investment. This is backed up by Esat's ongoing VOIP R&D and a couple of very large - enormous in fact - analog to IP migrations stateside in the past couple of months.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong folks.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Sounds plausible..they have some great offers in states with unlimited phone calls for x amount a month. You even get a virtual phone number with them. i presume that esat would be looking into this as well.

That might also explain the eircom market research survey i got nabbed for not long ago...basically they wanted to know would ppl be interested in say 600 minutes talk time a month for x amount(similar to a few offerings in the states but less minutes).
    No mention of unlimited like some of the offers in the states but then its eircom so what would we expect.

btw my reward for 15 minutes of my (very valuable!!) time was a chocolate!! a f***ing chocolate!. WTF thats how you might reward a child for being good. is this how eircom see their customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    my reward for 15 minutes of my (very valuable!!) time was a chocolate!! a f***ing chocolate!. WTF thats how you might reward a child for being good. is this how eircom see their customers?

Yes.

(Sorry, I could not resist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

You should have been grateful you got a chocolate!
    A for the line issue, I think Esat lack the manpower and equipment to manage the lines. After all taking money for line rental would mean they would have to look after the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Spose i did get something out of them :)

They do look after the line though after unbundling, so says the contract anyway.

I think adam probably hit the nail on the head with his explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Would the VOIP evidence being discovered mean that it could become significant for voice telephony over here soon? Like could the copper last mile become insignificant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by captainpat
    Would the VOIP evidence being discovered mean that it could become significant for voice telephony over here soon? Like could the copper last mile become insignificant?
    Voice over IP still has to travel over something captainpat, and unfortunately copper is still the de facto last mile in Ireland.

adam

Advertisement