Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom, The Good or The Bad

Options
  • 21-06-2003 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting Eircom cuz Rest arnt avilable and netsource pings suck balls. Anything bad about Eircom, i only really want a Connection for gaming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

well.........as regards customer care, you've got the bad, the very bad, and then the eircom.

They seem to have absolutely no problem with lying to their customers about things like caps and hardware requirements just to make a few extra euro off you. (If the drones at the number you ring to get ADSL tell you that you have to buy their (incredibly overpriced) modem, they're lying. If they try to intimidate you into buying their modem, take the name of the rep you're talking to and report them to ComReg. Also, if they tell you that theres no cap, theyre lying).

Eircom is the most expensive ADSL provider, and they have the smallest cap (4GB), although if no other companies can provide it to you, then theres not alot you can do. If all you need broadband for is gaming, then that shouldn't be a problem, and a friend who has eircom's ADSL told me their pings are fairly good.

I think I read somewhere that if you don't install the eircom software on your computer, then you never actually sign a contract, so technically that whole 12 month minimum thing is a load of **** (although you might want to verify this yourself first).

Good luck getting broadband,
    - andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

It has come to my attention that even though Netsoure, have no cap there pings are crazy, u can get their SME package which has a smooth rate of a 60 ping. I was wondering if eircoms ping is better than 60 it says in Posts that they usually get 30-40 (maybe less?). I only really want Eircom for Access to internet, Gaming, Xbox live and Emails, i like to download music but im not downloading 24/7. You think i should go for eircom???

Eircom i stream starter here on the Arklow exchange-pings in the 20's and 30's to boards and no more than in the 30's and 40's to clarity jolt in the UK.
    Downloads regular 54-55k a second.
    And I am aproximately 2 miles from the exchange.
    Absolutely no complaints :)
    mm

Man wut sorta games u play??

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

i like to download music but im not downloading 24/7.

it sounds like you're planning on using file sharing apps like Kazaa or WinMX for this.....if you are, then make sure you have them closed when you're not downloading (if you go for Eircom), because I've heard stories of people (accidently) leaving on those things and other people on the file sharing network downloading from them, and they use up their caps in a few hours...................am I making any sense here? lol

• Advertisement

Ah yes i see what you mean. Ive had WinMX before in the States but in the states they have never herd of a cap. I dont even think Welfare DSL has a cap. Anyway Andrew wut sorta Connection you have and which do you think is overall better Eircom or Netsoure SME??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

I'll probably be getting the self install starter iswell in the next few weeks from eircom. So what is the line I should say if they tell me that I 'have to' buy their modem? I dont want or need their modem/router.

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Man wut sorta games u play??
    I don't play any games.....yet...
    Must start:D
    originally posted by ando
    So what is the line I should say if they tell me that I 'have to' buy their modem? I dont want or need their modem/router.
    Well I'm using the same gear as yourself ( I think ) the d-link dsl 504 and bought it on the web .
    Just told Eircom I already had one and said thanks.
    They will tell you that they don't support it, but were generally helpfull otherwise.
    Anyhow once it's working with Netsource, there should be any probs with Eircom.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Why wouldnt you go for Esats or Utvs BB.. much much cheaper and 1gb extra on the download cap.. 90 euro start up self install from east and €50 a month inc vat (modem included, remains property of both companies for the duration of the service provided) . Subject to a 12 year minum contract on both those ISPs.

Regards,

Adzzzy.

(shin :p )

Hey Adren Can u do a ping check for me about that esat one with the 5GB cap, to jolt thnx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by andrew163
    I've heard stories of people (accidently) leaving on those things and other people on the file sharing network downloading from them, and they use up their caps in a few hours

Nah, thats not true. That'd be using Upload Bandwidth and at the moment there's no cap on uploading, only downloading. Has to be said that eircom haven't charged anyone for going over the cap yet.

Also, if you can get eircom's RADSL (i-stream starter), you can get UTVs and Esats because they're just reselling it from eircom. Don't mind what eircom tell you, they lie 99.9583% of the time (fact).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

upload is part of cap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Ugly.

With Eircom you are paying 22.50 - no it's 23.05 - just to have copper in your house and then you pay broadband on top.
    With NTL - you have to pay 17.50 - but you do get TV channels - and if lucky enough to live in some areas you can get BB for 20 pm - though it's 40 in Lucan :(
    ESB only want 7 pm for their copper...

As for accidentally leaving it on - work out 64Kb (8KB * 3600 seconds per hour) or divide 4GB by the number of seconds in a month,,,,

Don't forget they are not an Irish owned company anymore so there is no need to feel loyalty to them....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by talla
    upload is part of cap

No, it's not.

The eircom.ie site is down atm so I can't quote directly but it says something like: "you have a 3gig download allowance each month."

Originally posted by PiE
    No, it's not.

The eircom.ie site is down atm so I can't quote directly but it says something like: "you have a 3gig download allowance each month."

eh yes it is, do a search on the irelandoffline forum, this has been discussed several times. next you will be saying sending emails with large attachments is not considered part of you cap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

eh yes it is, do a search on the irelandoffline forum, this has been discussed several times. next you will be saying sending emails with large attachments is not considered part of you cap)

no it is not part of the cap, only your download is part of your cap. The cap includes all downloads but no uploads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

upload is part of cap
    It's not, the cap/allowance is on downloads only.

sorry my mistake, Irishwisp were the only ISP which have a cap who admitted the upload is part of the cap.

Advertisement