Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thunderbirds, joe 90, captain scarlet

• 21-06-2003 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

does anyone remember these and does anyone else think that they are utter crap. i used to get so bored watching them, it was a nightmare but tv stations kept showing them like they were really really popular. couldnt understand it myself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

They weren't my cup of tea either, but they weren't entirely without merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:eek:

Thunderbirds ARE go! :)

Thunderbirds was my first memory of watching TV back around 1971 it was on saturday morning (no change there then!) in glorious B&W. I think Thunderbirds performed small miricles of production values every week and even now looks much better then some live action stuff, you can't fo far wrong with big machinery going boom! and exploding into flames when your 9 or going on 39.

God knows the forthcomming movie wont be nearly as good and that'll have a huge budget. As for the rest I never really liked them as much.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I used to watch Thunderbirds religously when it was on BBC on Friday evenings. It used to be on at 6pm followed by "The Man From UNCLE" which I watch on TG4 hehe!

I loved Thunderbirds, I was well aware that "you can see the strings" but still thought it was class in comparison to some of the shoite that was on!

My mam recently bought me a Thunderbirds CD ROM with all screensavers and stuff on it. It cost her 50cent at the local scout fair but I was absolutely chuffed with it and abandoned my search for cheap tins of ambrosia tinned rice to go home and install it.

Captain Scarlet was good-ish although I didn't watch it as much as Thunderbirds. Did you know that Captain Magenta was from Dublin he was a former convict whom SPECTRUM hired because of his superior skills in something that I can't remember at the mo

/me goes off to find captain scarlet annual

I hated Stingray. Troy Tempest and that feckwit Phones pissed me off no end and Marina???!!!! Jaysus I'd have given anything to burn that puppet in a giant wicker man!!

cue visions of the naked slap dance hehehehe!

(sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I remember seeing something where they interviewed Anderson, they were talking about why the heads in thunderbirds were so big. His response was that all the stuff in the heads to make the mouths and eyes work could not minaturised enough, so the heads had to be made bigger. later in captain scarlet, they learned a way to put some of the mechanics into the body part of the puppets, solving the problem! Why didn't they simply make the bodies bigger to the same scale of the heads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

oh may god have mercy on all our souls, they are making a thinderbirds film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

they were ****e. captain scarlet had the interesting twist of he used to be invincible, but lost some of his powers so that he would die painfully, but come back to life in order to live it again another day, other than that it was boring as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Theres a guy where i live who looks startingly like joe 90, hes benn called joe since he was a child (20 years or so)

Ill try get a picture, but I dont want to walk up to him and take a photo. Ill try the newspaper acrchives.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

...and the mysterons never figured that out -- huh ?

Why didn't they just get Captain Black to pour some wet cement on him ....SIG :D
    =========================================

Ah thunderbirds - real techno-fix stuff, any problem can be solved if you have lots of the right hardware :)
    and stuff the environment - no catalytic conveters either ..
    thunderbird 4 was just a bit too small -

They should have had a flying sub - just like in "voyage to the bottom of the sea"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Anyone remember the final Anderson opus - Terrahawks. I think it was by far the best - some of the others could look a *bit* ropey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

They were good the first time but there showen so many times that there boring now after the tenth time seeing them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement