Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum Reliablity / underclocking / cooling suggestions ?

Options
  • 21-06-2003 10:45pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trying to setup reliable computer - set up and forget. Most of them will be old boxes - so any suggestions on how to extend life. They will be used as routers / firewalls so no need for speed.

so far
    remove any unneeded cards and cables and drives
    drop the motherboard speed as low as it goes
    put on a big heatsink in case the fan goes
    use big slow cooling fans
    put the case on it's side with psu on top so get vertical air flow across chipset.
    mount HDD flat rather than on it's side
    don't place it too high in an attic (too warm)

any other tips ?
    and where can I get cheap solid state IDE drives (~64MB )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I take it your thinking of leaving these pc's on 24hrz a day 7 days a week? If you are , the only real problem you will encounter is dust - once a year ( even once every 2 yrs ) will keep it running fine. Have had 3 pcs (166mhz X 2 , 350mhz X 1 ) running for atleast 4years without switching them off for more than 20mins. Fans should be set to blow out, and only one mabye 2. The more fans u have the more dust and the more possibility of ur ram or cpu failing.

Heat wont be a big deal - prob no need to underclock at all, suppose it cant hurt. Erm if im off the point let me know :)

Advertisement