Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 3650

• 22-06-2003 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi guys. I had been browsing through o2's and vodafone's seasonal catalogues since the start of May, and had come to the conclusion that the nokia 3650 was the phone for me. But then i found this site, and have been really dissapointed with some of the reviews. I have an o2 sim card already, so i could either just buy the handset, use my parents bonus upgrade to get the handset, or buy, straight off from vodafone on ready to go. I would imagine the last option would be really expensive, would it not? So what do you guys think i should do? I defo want a photo phone, but my dilemma is that most of my friends are on vodafone. Can you send photos between networks? O2 told me no, vodafone said yes! How much would a ready to go sim card alone cost? Anyway, back to the handset itself. I am not so bothered about the size or weight. And i actually like the rotary style keypad, although i have never used it. That seems to be most peoples problem with the phone. Now i am very keen to get owners opinions here : I use my phone for loads more than calling. I luv wap, and texting, and i play games loads, so just how restricting is the keypad? Is it just a question of practice, or is it genuinly impossible to game? And in general, are you happy with the phone? ( I know there have been previous thrads on this subject, so just a short reply would be brilliant. ) One or two other things if anyone could help me out : ( I am not great with PC's). They say you can play the latest movie trailers and whatever through real player 1, but from where can you download these? Through mobile wap? Or from your pc through bluetooth? Please reply, thanks a lot.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

1) Rotary key layout: Many different opinions on this but I've heard a few people saying that the lack of 'middle' keys, means there are no keys to 'get in the way' and therefore texting becomes much easier, with practice, that on normal layouts. Your mileage may vary.

2) Movies: One easy way to get movies is to upgarde to the new version, 6.3 of QuickTime Pro, install the 3GP component, and then convert the plentiful Quicktime .MOVies to 3GP format for playing on the 3650 [Caveat Emptor: for some reason I couldn't get my newly upgraded Quicktime Pro to do this for me but noone else I've spoken to has had any problems and with all the searches I've done on discussion forums my problems seems to be unique :( ]

~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://mmsmemo.blogspot.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I got the phone at the start of march and must say I love it. I bought a bigger MMC card and I have loads of commodore 64, gameboy, series 60 and java games. Also some entire films!! It is far superior to the 7650, sharp or panasonic.

The rotory pad is a annoying at the start but is fine for texting after a while. As for games, i just use the joystick works fine!!

AS for voda or O2. I would recommend o2. The main reason being that they are having trouble with the 3650. They can't get their system to charge 3650 owners for wap!!! Its been like this since march :p

You cant currently send MMS messages between networks. You should be able to very shortly though so don't let that make your descision. I'd go O2 but thats just my personal opinion.

Seriously though get the phone!! Any more questions, post up a message or go to irc.bararcade.com room 3560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 coke

Thanks guys, that was really helpful. It pretty much made up my mind anyway. I am defo getting the 3650. Still not totally sure about the network though. I wish i could just buy from the web right now, sim free, but i have gotta wait till end of july (when o2 say they will release the 3650) and see if the price of it on bonus upgrade is less than €369.... if it is not i will shoot somebody. Emm, to the second poster (sorry, name has left me), i've gotta get in contact with you... i think you think like me. you seem to love games and stuff, and i'd love to ask you sumore questions bout the phone. Do you have an msn messenger or aol screename?

I would recommend Vodafone if you're going to be doing much email or web browsing. Vodafone allow you to do this through HSCSD and in many people's experience, Bernie Goldbach among them -

http://www.underwayinireland.com/blog

- it works out much cheaper than GPRS as you're paying for time connected not data usage. O2 don't have HSCSD at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 coke

I had a funny experience with gprs on o2 last time. On my 3510, don't ask me why, but i was never in six months charged a penny for gprs, and i used it all the time... i was always afraid that one day i would check my credit and i would be down like a million quid, but nope... i am sorta clinging to the hope that it will happen again. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i'd have to disagree on the HSCSD working out cheaper - it depends what you are doing on the phone - especially when used for on handset content - as far as I know Bernie would be more of a laptop (i.e. off handset) user

gprs and hscsd were talked about here

one of the cool things about the 7650/3650 phones (and the P800) is at home you can bypass the networks data charges altogether and use a kind of internet pass though connection over a bluetooth connection, with some info on that here

atb,
    BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I use HSD on a Nokia 9210i for downloading headers of e-mails, uploading items on my blog and browsing with the lightweight Opera client. It's costing me around EUR 240 each month for data traffic, which represents around 30 minutes for each train journey. I make two KK-Dub returns each week when running up those charges.

hi Bernie, i thought i'd read you were Bluetoothing to a 6310i / using a D211, must have got my wireless wires crossed ;)

i can understand if you are blogging HSCSD could well be more cost effective, especially with the type of blog you do cross referencing, researching and publishing articles, so more browsing intensive than someone posting random musings

the 9210i is a dfferent animal to a 3650, aimed more at the mobile worker, and as the 9210i doesn't support GPRS it's not like there is an option to use it

if i was HSCSDing off a Series 60 handset, i'd be worse off than GPRSing on O2, but again it all depends what you are doing

atb,
    BrianG

edit: link went to the wrong post, oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

is the 3650 for sale through o2 / vodafone here yet? I know some places in dublin sell a sim free version but is there a contract / upgrade deal yet?

I visited Meteor, Vodafone and O2 in Limerick on Monday. Both Vodafone and 02 said they had no word yet on the 3650 but that they (the shop attendants) are never told until a few days before the new phones are available. Don't know how true that is?Anyway, they told me to come back again in a few weeks.

By the way Meteor says it's introducing MMS in July with some 'tricks up their sleeve'. They say the big delay at the moment is getting interoperability agreements with the other two. Well they would, wouldn't they.

Anyway, you can order the 3650 from The Fone Factory

Brian, this conversation about the costs associated with mobile data usages is very useful as I'm thinking of changing network. Can you give me an example of the kind of usage pattern you would have? I would be looking to most manage a website so email and a little browsing are important aswell as IM with my partner in the USA. Also, which 02 plan suits you best, if that's not too nosy of me ;-)

Thanks,
    -Jim.

• Advertisement

Noticed in the Vodafone 2003 catalogue/magazine they have a 3650 listed (along with the T610, GD87 and GX10i) for their Live! handsets. It just says "Coming soon to RTG and Pay Monthly Options".

No worries Jim, I'll drop you an email over the weekend.

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just noticed a post on the link Dubwireless included a few posts back.

I can categorically say that High Speed Data is not available on RTG. To get HSCSD, a specific code needs to be added the customers HLR profile. No RTG or Postpay customers have this as standard, this can be added for Postpaid customers. If someone has, count themselves lucky, your not meant to have it!

I on the other hand, added it to my HLR profile so I have it :D Sorry to brag and all, but I cant help it.

Also, when browsing or downloading large amounts of Data, the per minute charge for HSCSD calls is cheaper that GPRS sessions. I tested this and drew up a number of internal reports comparing both costs wise.. Its only slightly cheaper than O2's GPRS costs though.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Just noticed a post on the link Dubwireless included a few posts back.

I can categorically say that High Speed Data is not available on RTG. To get HSCSD, a specific code needs to be added the customers HLR profile. No RTG or Postpay customers have this as standard, this can be added for Postpaid customers. If someone has, count themselves lucky, your not meant to have it!

i had thought that, until someone else mentioned they had it up, so gave data support a call quoting the RTG pre-pay phone number and they set it up in a few minutes, no questions or hassle involved

usually find it can be a bit of a lottery on Vodafone what the outcome of a support call/email is going to be depending on who your query gets through to, had asked about it before and was told no, then tried again after hearing someone else had it set-up and hey presto got sorted :)
    Also, when browsing or downloading large amounts of Data, the per minute charge for HSCSD calls is cheaper that GPRS sessions.

thought that was covered by the point i was making?
    I tested this and drew up a number of internal reports comparing both costs wise.. Its only slightly cheaper than O2's GPRS costs though.

without taking into account/highlighting the type of device being used (pda, 'smart'phone, laptop), they kind of connections being made (web, im, ftp, mail (headers/full text/attachements), etc.), the type of user (consumer/business), and the biggest factor - the requirements of the person using the connection, i'd find your statement would be a bit of a generalisation in this forum

atb,
    BrianG

Ok this seems like its gonna get bitchy, if I am wrong I wrong.

Firstly, HSCSD should not be given to RTG customers. If it has been, it was an oversight. Fair played to anyone who has been lucky to benefit from this.

With reference to the old post, someone mentioned in it that they had HSCSD on RTG... Obviously didnt refer to it very well considering how defensive you seem to be getting.

The costing trials I carried out were specifically to do with general web browsing and email etc.... I thought this was obvious considering that HSCSD is usually used for this purpose. Of course you can bring numerous different factors into it such as monthly add ons or even corporate arrangements but I was speaking solely about standard personal users.

Its not always very simple to directly compare GPRS to HSCSD point for point, some variations do exist. Realistically the tests I carried out were very simple as they were designed to help non-technical people put both into perspective.. Sometimes impossible I know.

With reference to the old post, someone mentioned in it that they had HSCSD on RTG... Obviously didnt refer to it very well considering how defensive you seem to be getting.

? was commenting how easy i found to get it set-up - might be worth a shot to call up if someone wanted it as they could get it switched on like myself and some others have
    Its not always very simple to directly compare GPRS to HSCSD point for point, some variations do exist. Realistically the tests I carried out were very simple as they were designed to help non-technical people put both into perspective.. Sometimes impossible I know.

if you realise it can be impossible to directly compare i don't understand why you'd make the call either way - stating one is cheaper than the other without a bit of background (scope) might just send someone reading this thread (about a Series60 handset) off with the wrong info for their needs

my only reason for posting on this board is to offer some help, share my experience or post some relevent info/news; so i'm not sure where you are coming from referring to me as being defensive or bitchy unless you are are again trying to stir some ****tt as you put it

atb,
    BrianG

Right you are then.

Odly enough I am trying to do the exact same thing. Seems to me the only diffference is that you seem to know that bit more than myself, while this in itself is perfectly acceptable, its a different story if you get in a strop if someone suggests an alternative to what you have stated.

It seems that you have had considerably more experiene that myself in the mobile industry and I have no doubt you have a higher level of knowledge regarding the topic.

Maybe my maturity level is that little bit lower too.

C'mon lads, cop yourselves on. I hope you don't put each other off posting on these forums because I always appreciate any help I get here, particularly yours Brian.

Apologies!

Advertisement