Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drive mapping

Options
  • 22-06-2003 11:35pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I just networked two PC together.
    I have called one custom and the other compaq.
    The drives on compaq are shared so that custom has complete control of them.
    I maped the drives, but is there anyway I can get the mapped drives to show up as the type they are, e.g. be mapped as a CD Rom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a shared out cd looks like a shared out hd folder except that it is always read only viewed from the other machine ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Are you trying to play the cd on the remote machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

If you were to create an ISO/similar from the CD and share that on the network, you could use something like Daemon Tools to create a virtual drive from that image on either of the PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If all you want is to make it more recognisable as a CD drive, just change the drive icon for that particular mapping on the host machine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

to share the CD as read only - saves having to click on the button each time.

Also share the drive as "CD" rather than the drive letter - that way you should see the name

OLD tip
    MSCDEX /S if you want to share from DOS (who needs windows ?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement