Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partitioning without losing info?!?

• 23-06-2003 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

Guys. Looking for abit of advice here. I have a laptop with a 20gig HD. It's currently just formatted as one drive with Win2k as the OS. Is there any way at all that i can partition this drive without having to format/recreate the existing partition. I want to make it a dual boot system but i don't want to lose what i have on it. Any ideas???? Any help greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

You need to get your hands on partition magic. That will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some magazine DVD this month has Partition Magic on it, as far as I know..... Not sure what magazine, though. Worth checking out.

- Dave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Far as I'm aware, trial versions of PM are useless, since they don't allow you to actually save partition tables.

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At home there is a 20GB drive =2,2,16GB - but for some reason the 16GB partition is only being recognised as 3.8 BG :( - but win 98 sees it as full size - looks like I'll have to nuke the partiton AFTER copying stuff off.

preparation tips
    a) Defrag and check drive for errors first - turn off all caching - system state / empth recycle bin / empty temp internefiles - so nothing hidden at that end of the drive...

b) if possible back up to CD or network or USB Hdd first.

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Far as I'm aware, trial versions of PM are useless, since they don't allow you to actually save partition tables.

adam
    I have a niggling feeling that its a full version of an earlier release.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Nice one fella's, sounds like exactly what i'm looking for. Fair play, appreciate all the help. I'll give it a go.

OK, just checked the newsagent.... On PC Plus, there is a program called Partition Commander 6. Its the full version. It should do what you want. Do a bit of googling on it first, though, just to be sure its OK.

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Man, the level of service from boards never ceases to amaze me!!! Thanks a lot TmB, appreciate it.

Advertisement