Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US interrogation music slammed

Options
  • 23-06-2003 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who remember the US military saying that they used Metallica's well known song "Enter Sandman" to break Iraqi prisoners, here's the band's reaction to the news:

From today's 'Star' newspaper
    Metallica Anger at 'Torture' Tune
    Band's fury at US move

Metal legends Metallica have blasted the US military for using one of their classic songs to "torture" Iraqi prisoners.

The band have reacted angrily to reports that their Enter Sandman classic - one of their biggest and best-known hits - has been used as a torture method for Iraqi prisoners;

The band descvribed the news in the current issue of Hot Press as a "tragedy"

Thing

Band member Kirk Hammett - answering questions posed by fans of the legends - said: "That, to me is a very sad thing. It's a god-damn shame. It's a serious misuse of our music."

In offering his opinion of US President George W Bush, Hammett was direct and unfaltering in his view.

"He won this election by proxy. I don't think he was qualified in the beginning to lead this country and I don't think he is qualified now.
    In my opinion he's got a lot of blood on his hands,"
    he said.

<SNIP>

Interesting to see where this will go, although i seriously doubt anything will come of it. No doubt there'll be screams of unpatriotism from the general media of course in the US, the charge being led by Fox :rolleyes:

Then again, with the patriotism frenzy possibly abaiting and people asking more and more questions over Iraq, perhaps this might spur the topic on further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I wonder if the DOD downloaded the song off napster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

So long as they get their royalties, they'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I wonder if the DOD downloaded the song off napster?

Now now!! ....

We can't comment on it but you must trust us because we ... err ... "know" things ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I were trying to extract info out my enemy I'd use much stronger medicine than Metallica - Achy-Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus
    and nothing less should do it! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

That Stairway cover with the wakka-wakka board by the australian bloke would have done it for me. Can't remember his name although he is sort of famous. The wakka-wakka haunts me.

It's odd to see Metallica slander the current US admin, seeing as they are so loving the **AA treatment by the government there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i bet the lyrics scare the hell out of 'em
    Enter Sandman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

what happend to Barney ? no protest from them ? ...weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Wook
    what happend to Barney ? no protest from them ? ...weird...
    Barney is a closet NeoCon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If they are using Barney.. what does that say about what it is doing to our children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    That Stairway cover with the wakka-wakka board by the australian bloke would have done it for me. Can't remember his name although he is sort of famous. The wakka-wakka haunts me.

Have you got it yet? he he! :) Rolf Bleedin Harris! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

enter sandman, ah fond memories of a misspent youth. those iraqis never had it so good....

I reckon its a clever psy-ops move to get every one of them to surrender so they can mosh away and drink cheap cider, which they probably werent allowed to under Saddam....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mike65
    If I were trying to extract info out my enemy I'd use much stronger medicine than Metallica - Achy-Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus
    and nothing less should do it! :D
    Amateur. Two hours of Barbie Girl followed by the first album by Buck's Fizz with the two hit singles removed. Three hours of karaoke singers covering Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On, finishing up with four hours of David Bowie singing The Laughing Gnome.

Sceptre, if you were a military General, you'd probably be on a wanted list for warcrimes.

Your way of thinking simply cannot be condoned in a society that wishes to call itself civilised. I am sure that 'Barbie Girl' is mentioned by name in the Geneva convention as a non-conventional weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by dod
    I am sure that 'Barbie Girl' is mentioned by name in the Geneva convention as a non-conventional weapon.

It isnt actually, but its use was classified as "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" by the US Supreme Court last year.

jc

p.s. For the Humoursly impaired....no, it wasnt actually.

I wonder whats the chances of getting a job in Hans Blixs department, your job description being an inspector of Barbie Girls for the international community....

...just to ensure there are no excessively cruel and unusual punishments being used by the international community, of course

Advertisement