Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition for NTL Broadband in Dublin 15

Options
  • 23-06-2003 12:16pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods....hope this is the right forum for this. If possible do you think you could sticky this for a week and see how much of a response there is. Thanks!

Right. All you Dublin 15 heads. We want broadband don't we? We want affordable broadband? At the moment the only option for a handful of people is €ircon as they have upgraded the Blanchardstown Exchange. I say a handful because the copper in the area is shoddy to say the least and most people are failing the ADSL test. I'm not attached to the Blanchardstown exchange so I have no options for Broadband at the moment and the same can be said for the majority of people in the Dublin 15 area.

There is a glimmer of hope though. NTL are trialling a new way of rolling out their Cable Broadband in Lucan and all going well they would hopefully be rolling out to other areas. I want Dublin 15 to be a priority for them. So, for this to happen we need to let them know why Dublin 15 deserves to get their attention.

1. Densely populated area with many housing estates
    2. More and more houses/apartments being built
    3. Large amount of Hi Tech firms in the area in places like the Blanchardstown Corporate Park, Ballycoolin, Rosemount, Damastown etc etc. There are many more. This means a lot of high tech employees in the area who would gladly hand over their hard earned cash for broadband if reasonably priced.

Please feel free to add your thoughts on the matter. Attached is an A4 Doc that can be downloaded, printed out and put in letterboxes throughout the Dublin 15 area. We need NTL to hear us. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

It's a god idea, I'm a tad sceptical as to whether they'll give a sh1t or not though :rolleyes:

I'd also be reluctant to advertise them, for obvious reasons :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by kamobe
    It's a god idea, I'm a tad sceptical as to whether they'll give a sh1t or not though :rolleyes:

I'd also be reluctant to advertise them, for obvious reasons :)

Sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns. Sitting on our asses and mentally projecting our thoughts to NTL ain't gonna work. If enough people hound them about a service in the area then maybe someone in there will kop on to the fact that there is a huge market ready to be tapped in Dublin 15. It can't do any harm anyway and as for advertising them.....well, if it even stops one person from going with €ircon, it has been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

if it even stops one person from going with €ircon, it has been worth it.
    Ah yes, and so the spiteful shall be spited by the more spiteful..

I totaly agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmm. Im tempted to say that this is all academic because ntl just dont have the capital to upgrade new areas and that even if they did, they wouldnt justify the outlay.

However, i know little to nothing about this 'new and improved' method of delivering cable to estates (and im guessing noone here does either as there as been precious little in the way of actual information about the process)

I would say you might be better off trying to find out what the new process entails first. If new cable has to be laid, then it might be a case of being SOL :(

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I would say you might be better off trying to find out what the new process entails first. If new cable has to be laid, then it might be a case of being SOL :(

No new cable has to be laid. It's a case of adding all the extra equipment needed to a cabinet at the edge of the estate or each street instead of to every house. If new cable is already in the estate then the upgrade should be quick and a lot cheaper than before. NTL would clean up if they could roll it out to as many areas as possible and then the extra revenue could be used to upgrade the 1 way cable in older areas. I know this is all ifs and buts etc but anything is worth trying at this stage. We're nearly 4 years into the 21st century and we're still playing catch up on the late 20th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by LFCFan
    No new cable has to be laid. It's a case of adding all the extra equipment needed to a cabinet at the edge of the estate or each street instead of to every house. If new cable is already in the estate then the upgrade should be quick and a lot cheaper than before. NTL would clean up if they could roll it out to as many areas as possible and then the extra revenue could be used to upgrade the 1 way cable in older areas. I know this is all ifs and buts etc but anything is worth trying at this stage. We're nearly 4 years into the 21st century and we're still playing catch up on the late 20th century.

Why restrict ourselves to NTL however? Why not produce a petition of users interested in any reasonable broadband. For instance, Irish BB could be persuaded to upgrade their transmitter to Navini technology, which despite being a lower download speed could very well be a better service (for a similar price) due to contention.

Matt

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Why restrict ourselves to NTL however? Why not produce a petition of users interested in any reasonable broadband. For instance, Irish BB could be persuaded to upgrade their transmitter to Navini technology, which despite being a lower download speed could very well be a better service (for a similar price) due to contention.
    Matt

This is true, but the thinking with this petition is that if NTL upgrade more areas in Dublin 15, then the likes of IBB might be given the kick in the ass it needs to offer their services. Competition is what we need in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

My understanding was that it required new (underground, fibre-optic) cable to be laid to one point which would serve an entire estate, as oppossed to laying this cable to the end of every road.

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    My understanding was that it required new (underground, fibre-optic) cable to be laid to one point which would serve an entire estate, as oppossed to laying this cable to the end of every road.

Would this be for estates that need new cable though? My understanding is that newer estates would already have the required Fibre/Coax combination needed for 2 way communication but needed 2 way amps and other equipment to utilise the 2 way cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mods....hope this is the right forum for this. If possible do you think you could sticky this for a week and see how much of a response there is. Thanks!
    I've a feeling that people read stickies less than regular threads that go up and down the page. While there's discussion going on (and at the mo there is) you're probably better off not stickying it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    I've a feeling that people read stickies less than regular threads that go up and down the page. While there's discussion going on (and at the mo there is) you're probably better off not stickying it.

Was thinking that myself actually. Good idea. Thanks!

Would this be for estates that need new cable though? My understanding is that newer estates would already have the required Fibre/Coax combination needed for 2 way communication but needed 2 way amps and other equipment to utilise the 2 way cable?

Err, where is this magical Fibre Fairy who lays dark fibre to every new estate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dark Fibre's over in GLB Issues anyway. Something about "feeling used".

har har

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

i think these guys are working off the assumption that in estates built in the last 4 of 5 years, NTL would have the most up to date available cabling spec.... ahh, the innocence of youth.

in fairness, it's not an entirely unreasonable assumption... it'd be nice is NTL would give some kind of indication of their general plans.

That was my original point. Everyone enjoys running around like headless chickens ASSUMING things and all too often they assume totally wrong.

Like i said, We need to nail down exactly what this new process is before we can go around demanding enourmous capital expenditure from a company whos parent is in deep financial trouble.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?postid=5705#post5705

Let's face it if NTL had invested a decent amount of dosh into BB three years ago then Eircom / Esat probably wouldn't have bothered rolling out ressidental ADSL in Dublin. They missed that boat (I blame a lot of that on Digital MMDS but...)

Eircom cap of 4GB would be reached in under 15 hours if you got the NTL 600K maxed out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

well, if it's technically possible (i mean in terms of the right kind of cable and stuff), then i support this petition.

Edited at request

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Let's face it if NTL had invested a decent amount of dosh into BB three years ago then Eircom / Esat probably wouldn't have bothered rolling out ressidental ADSL in Dublin.

Actually id guess that the opposite is true. If ntl were more widespread then eircom and esat would HAVE to compete or lose a substantial amount of revenue from high-use 56k, isdn and broadband type customers.

In other countries (most notably the USA) it was Cables dominance that sparked the adsl push by telcos. In fact correct me if im wrong, but ADSL was developed as an answer to the threat of cable to telcos.

LFCfan, thats not bad (more info than ive seen coming out of ntl for a while). Any chance you could find out more about the process?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Someone clueful in NTL, ye gods. NTL dude, if you're reading this, kudos man.

adam /big thumbs up

• Advertisement

I've requested more info and will get back to you if I get any. My source has to remain anonymous though.

Edited at request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

In other countries (most notably the USA) it was Cables dominance that sparked the adsl push by telcos. In fact correct me if im wrong, but ADSL was developed as an answer to the threat of cable to telcos.
    Indeed. Cable modem services started being trialled in the US around 1995. Around 1996, iirc, telcos started to get interested in DSL as a means of competing. DSL had been developed as a technology some years previously, but telcos had no interest in it, apart from a failed attempt to deliver video on demand type services.

In fact, just after NTL halted their original upgrade, Eircom pulled their original ADSL offering citing "technical issues". They were just about ready to go, but since there was no longer any threat to their metered dial up and ISDN revenues, there was no point in releasing the product (according to many) which would have been competing with these services. They also pulled out of a Government funded regional DSL project. Eircom's DSL product would also have included TV and VOD and some say the platform was superior to that which they subsequently adopted.

If NTL had gone ahead with the cable modems at the time, it would have been suicide for Eircom not to respond. The absence of NTL to date has meant that FRIACO has been needed to remove the crutch of metering that would otherwise have been done by competition.

Nice to see NTL appear to be getting going again. If this proves substantial, Eircom better look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Could that 50% ADSL price cut by eircom a few months ago be a response to NTL starting to roll out cable again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I would, without hesitation, avail of this service if NTL made it available in D15.
    I would avail of this service in preference to ADSL, RADSL, Wireless, Navini Wireless.
    The only method of delivering broadband that I find potentially more attractive is internet over electricity but only if the quality of service provided was superior to the very good service that NTL currently offer to their broadband customers in other parts of Dublin.

Advertisement