Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im not happy about the way the For Sale Board is being moderated....!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

As this site is not a democracy why is it nessacary to get permission to read PM's

Quote:

What ever gave you the idea that boards.ie was a democracy,
    you have absolutely no rights here what-so-ever.

So just read the damn things already and stop pussying around. You have the right without getting permission . . you own the site . . don't you ?

Here is a ponderance,

You put something for sale on the board - after a few days it moves to the second or third page - so you bump it up by adding

PM Sent !

hey presto your item is at the top again . . . . but you get banned !

Do I hear pennies dropping ????

Just my theory

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

in fairness to the masses who await with baited breath, could you just clarify one thing. Was there any off-board trading between The Muppet and tomo'whocares

The Answer to you question is no.

More to follow.........

The Muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by The Muppet
    The Answer to you question is no.

More to follow.........

The Muppet

This is the first time I've seen the admins given the run around this much.
    The rules of the Sales forum are there, made by Vex and the other mods and pretty damn obviousat the top of the Classified forums, obey them and everyones happy, break them and tough luck.

How long has this thread been going on? How much of Dev's Ecksor's and Vexorg's time has been taken up with this rubbish?

Check the pms if its really that important, otherwise either ban the Muppet (I wish I could) or tell him to shutup, or else give him a temp ban for trolling, which is what the whole of this thread looks like...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by lafortezza
    This is the first time I've seen the admins given the run around this much.

How long has this thread been going on? How much of Dev's Ecksor's and Vexorg's time has been taken up with this rubbish?

I think the lads are getting a buzz off it. I know I am.

I think the lads are getting a buzz off it.

Umh I Don,t think thats an accurate reflection of the situation.

This thread will be locked shortly. I hope to make one final post on this thread in the next day or two before that happpens . Out Of Courtesy I am waiting for communication or an action from another contributor before I Post my final comments.

Obviously I can not promise that this will happen so if not this will be my last post and all i want to say in that case is that its been a buzz for me too.

The Muppet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

all i want to say in that case is that its been a buzz for me too.

Yes, we all know that. Personally I wouldn't have entertained you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I am waiting for communication or an action from another contributor before I Post my final comments.
    Who's that, merc tilt?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tinky: There may or may not be legal implications of reading someone elses PM's. I honestly dont care.
    I *personally* do not snoop in other peoples pm's without asking. Its a personal morality thing rather the a "right to do it" thing. Ok?

The Muppet is going to explain exactly what has been going on. I'm indulging this escapade because complaints were raised in a reasonable (enough) manner and I entertain all such queries. The reason I'm not explaining it to everyone is because I want The Muppet to explain exactly what this was all about from his own keyboard.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

As this thread has run it course I would like to clarify some points before it is locked.
    |If you have followed this thread form the beginning you are aware this argument started over a message on the for sale forum. I had an item for sale which had moved off the first page. Tomnoc who is an acquaintance of mine was browsing the board saw my post and decided to bump it. Instead of typing Bump he typed PM SENT. Vexorg banned him for Off Thread Dealing as this broke a Board Rule. I was annoyed when I saw the ban as I had seen many other users post exactly the same message without sanction. I was not aware of this rule as I had not seen it enforced before. I replied Accusing Vexorg of being on a power trip.

The contents of my reply to the ban post was not factually correct .I did this because I considered the ram scenario to be more plausible that the truth. I apologise for this but it does not change the core point of my argument which is that a ban was issued for an offence which was not committed. There was no off thread dealing.

This argument was never about my first post but about a rule which presumes guilt without proof. As This post shows there can be other reasons fora PM SENT messag other that off thread dealing.

Devore
    I appreciate your mediation. I was too caught up in the argument to see it until I read back the posts recently but I accept that in general you have been fair and impartial with your mediation. I want to thank you for this and apologise for any distress I have caused you. I regret the amount of time you have wasted on this but in my defence I did I try to discourage you from wasting your time.
    The Muppet

“you are wasting your time there was no Off Thread dealing between tomnoc and myself. I don’t know how long it takes to do what you say but if it’s a long time as you suggested in the original post I wouldn’t bother if I were you.”
    One of my posts was removed and I was unhappy at the time about that. However on reflection I went OTT with some of my comments in that post and I apologise to Devore for these . However below is edited contens of the remove post.I have removed come comments which were directed at specific users as theyare irrelevent at this stage.
    Buffybot

If The Relevance of this message to the current thread is explained to me I may give access to it. As the message in question is FROM smcarrick to me and two months old I do not understand how it has any relevance to this thread.

If DeVore is genuinely concerned about my Private Messages I am prepared to enter into discussion with him in an appropriate forum, NOT on this Thread.

DeVore

Just To Clarify The Position. I was asked for permission to access the pm that started this thread . I have given that permission but as no evidence of wrong doing was found . I gave permission as requested to access the backups with the same outcome .

Vexorg

I have followed your link . It Seems democracy has broken out. Maybe it is now time to end this..

Vexorg
    It was never my intention to cause you upset. I was made aware of your upset after your contacts with Tomnoc. That was the reason I halted at one point. I do appreciate that being a moderator is a tough and sometimes thankless task but I do think that your initial sarcastic post set the tone for what followed. Maybe a less confrontational approach to users would be more likely to encourage a polite reply. Y position my advice to

Obviously when I gave Devore permission to access the PMS I knew that he would find none. The reason I did this was to reach this inevitable conclusion and to finally end this Thread. While I still contend that my argument is valid. I accept there is right and wrong on both sides of this debate.

I see that there’s now open debate about a new set of rules for the For Sale forum so maybe this thread is not in vain and hopefully there will be no need for this type of argument in the future.

Finally I want to Thank Devore for being true to his word and giving me the opportunity to end this thread. I suspect that I have pushed him to the limit and beyond at some points in this thread others in his position may have resorted to censorship so he is to be commended for his considerable restraint.

I have said it twice in this thread but this is definitely my last post on this topic. Hopefully I will be able to continue to participate in this community in a more peaceful manner and although some may find it hard to believe I did not come here with the intention of causing trouble. I look forward to participating constructively in this forum in the future.

Thank you

The Muppet

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Hey muppet,

maybe after your next digression, you'll manage to come up with an unreserved apology...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The bottom line is that imho you wanted your thread bumped and didnt want to do it yourself. Tomnoc was your patsy but blew it by typing "PM sent" rather then just bumping it. I dont buy the "my mate was just browsing the second page of the For Sale forum, saw my post and kindly bumped it for me" crap.

I dont know what the relationship between you two is but at Tomnoc's polite request I'm not taking that further.

You then came here and complained. A complaint, which, had you been honest about it in the first place would have led me to ask for Tomnoc to be unbanned most likely.

Of board PM's cant be stopped, even if they could, people would revert to mail or another form of communication. Information routes itself around blockages. But we dont have to support them or agree with them. Too many people, unscrupulous people, try to bump the price of their offer by having a second account and saying "pm sent", giving the seller an out to claim he's been given a higher offer.

You can argue all you want about the rights and wrongs of your argument but its kinda hollow from someone who lied and tried to trick us from the beginning.

I'm glad you've seen me as fair if a little hard. You'll find most people here see me that way. Next time, try just bringing us the argument and leaving the duplicity behind. You might be surprised.

Oh, and btw, Vex talked me weeks ago about making the For Sale forum a smoother place and we agreed on a forum to debate that. While your thread was going we left discussion here. Dont take credit for his idea, you merely slowed it down.

Those are MY final words on this.

This thread has at most 48 hours to live.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

'Twas a fun thread to read while it lasted. And a great insight into how boards functions for all teh n00bs.

And it's amazing how the whole reversal in The Muppets story at the end showed how Vexorg's rules work. Maybe this overhaul isn't needed?
    :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

So there never was a PM?

Worthy of a Hitchcock tribute spoof movie. It's got intrigue, suspense, deceit, people crowded around the mystery of a murder that, it turns out, never happened.

Oh hang on, I've seen a movie like this. And a similar book

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think The Muppet should have taken my advice instead of complaining about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Every time I see this goddamned thread I get an image of Denis Leary screaming "I'm just not happy, I'm just not happy".

Shut the fúck up. Next!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Dear The Muppet

You mean to tell me that the initial discussion here which was "my imposing a ban due to breaking the pm rule" which you countered with "its a disgrace as the pm'er was trying to be helpful" was actually just a smelly bump your ram for sale, thread!.

So you lied to save face and to try to make me look bad!...

Well all I can say is you have lost all and any respect I had for you. I really have no time for you whatsoever, I am not surprised that tomnoc wanted to have nothing to do with this.

Thanks for nothing!

Vex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Never was a user more aptly named! What a wan*&er!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

/me performs ancient locking dance

UMMM AAAA HEEEYYYYY LOCK DAAAAAAA THREAAAAAAD UMMM AAAA HEEEYYYYY

/me looks up at sky as rain begins to fall

hmmmm

I'd also like to say that I've just sold some stuff on For Sale in record time with no hassles at all.

Endorsal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Vexorg

Well all I can say is you have lost all and any respect I had for you.
    Vex

You mean it took til now for you to lose respect for him?

you are human right?

• Advertisement

Amps dance has proved fruitful.

Thread locked.

Court Adjourned.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement