Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RADSL versus ADSL for online gaming

Options
  • 23-06-2003 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am going to get the IOL RADSL package to play Xbox Live (if they ever send me the forms). Can anyone tell me how this would compare with ADSL? I am less than 1KM from my local exchange. Will this have any bearing on the quality of RADSL? The reason I ask is that I have seen some horror posts relating to Netsources RADSL. Is this an issue with RADSL generally or is it just a case of leeches on Netsources RADSL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Can't comment on the comparisons but i have the links for the forms if you want to print them out yourself and send them in.
    They're same as whatever they post you out.

http://register.iol.ie/broadband/IOL_Broadband.pdf

And all the Terms and Conditions...

http://register.iol.ie/broadband/TermsAndConds.pdf

________
    C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Well if you can get Esat's business ADSL package then definitly go for that, really low pings and no cap but it's on the expensive side. Well worth it in my mind, if only it was available in my area....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Those documents come up with errors with my acrobat reader... is it possible that its because I have an older version of it.. or is there an actualt problem with the page?? Does this work for other people?

http://register.iol.ie/broadband/IOL_Broadband.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Yeah it's grand for me and I'm using Acrobat 5.0.

K thanks.. ill get that version now..

• Advertisement

Spud mate,, ur right radsl does matter how far away from the exchange you are.. as does ADSL but Radsl just gives you further coverage.. with the loss of perhaps not achiving 512kbs.. However becuase you are so close to your exhange its unlikely your signel will be weakend, and therefore should achieve the proper connection speed (512kbs). The results you are hearing from the Netsoure customers are due to, yes the leechers and + netsource being a small company trying to deal with to much, and have little enough band with allready.. and possibly not alot of money. If you go ahead with IOL you should have a service much more like the eircom I-stream, stable pings and download rates, due to the company being well established. Ping wise / gaming wise.. Radsl is better for pings due to 'interleaving' been turned down on this product. If you were to go with eircoms ADSL product (much dearer) your pings would be much higher, and if you were to go with Esats ADSL (108 euros a month inc vat) you would get the best pings available at the moment in ireland.. 14 to 20 to clarity.jolt.co.uk.

Regards,

Adzzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The low interleaving with RADSL is a definite plus at the moment, but the connection ratio could turn out to be a real kick in the teeth. When the exchanges start filling up you'll probably start to notice the difference between sharing a connection with 23 other ppl and with sharing with 47 other ppl. Doubt there's gonna be a mass migration to broadband in this country any time soon, but it's a 12 month contract so you could be unlucky and be on a really popular exchange. I think the ADSL is a generally superior service, hence the extra cost. Bit too expensive for my liking tho

the connection ratio really shouldnt be that much of a bother.. Enlgish Broad band isps generaly use 50:1 ratios all the time on there residential services and the users mamange fine.. its up to how the telco esat/eircom manage the whole thing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It's the telco management that worries me. A low contention ratio can hide a lot of incompetence and an undeveloped intrastructure, but high contention will not.

Advertisement