Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Decoder and sound system connection

Options
  • 23-06-2003 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I've just got a surround sound system and want to connect it to my NTL decoder. The decoder only has one SCART output which is connected to the TV. How should I go about connecting it up?
    I think I neec a SCART cable which branches off to two audio cables and a SCART for the video. .. is this the right way to go, and do they exist?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi Mr. Flibble,

You can get a SCART to 3 RCA adaptor, that's a Scart with a three cables coming out of it - Red, White (audio) and Yellow (composite video) and an RCA/Scart adaptor - this has corresponding RCA sockets on a scart plug. (These adaptors can be directional, i.e. designed as "Input" or "Output" adaptors, and to complicate things you can get them with a switch on the top to switch them between being inp. or outp...... For this solution, you need an input adaptor.

Connect the scart/RCA lead to your NTL decoder, connect the Yellow (Composite video) leqad to the Yellow socket on the RCA Scart adaptor, plud this adaptor into your TV, and connect the Red and White RCA leads to the stereo inputs of your surround sound system.

For better picture quality, you could get a SCART/Svideo+RCA leads, and connect the Svideo lead directly to your Telly (I'm assuming here that your telly has Svideo input, most do afaik.) You should check before you try this solution that your NTL box can output Svideo.

Sean G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

On the decoder theres a menu to choose between RGB and componant. Its set to componant as that looks better...so for best quality would I need a SCART to SCART&audio rca?..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I've never seen a Scart to Scart/RCA - though if you do some checking on the net you could easily find the pin out for a scart and modify a scart cable to take out the audio only - or get someone handy with a soldering iron to do it for you. I reckon you'd be pretty happy with the Svid if you try it out.....

All the best,

Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Ok, thanks. Ill prob go with the svid. Its only temporary - till my projector arrives and the real cabling problems begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by The Ritz
    I've never seen a Scart to Scart/RCA - though if you do some checking on the net you could easily find the pin out for a scart and modify a scart cable to take out the audio only - or get someone handy with a soldering iron to do it for you. I reckon you'd be pretty happy with the Svid if you try it out.....

All the best,

Sean.

I was messing around in the storage room at work recently and came across a funny lookin cable.....one scart connector and six rca jacks. I hadn't ever seen one before but now i have one in my home. Whoopie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement