Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooool - Irish Eco Village

Options
  • 23-06-2003 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Maybe localy we may be getting BB in the not to distant future :D.Ill try and have a chat with these people and find out HOW and where they intent to connect there network to this no existant broadband.Anyways i still like the sound of the village though that bits a bit of topic :D.

The development of the environmentally friendly eco-village will also include an orchard, a wildlife area, an enterprise centre, community buildings and a broadband wireless Internet network

Full story here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

website here

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

and how come people aren't concerned about the environmental and health issues of wireless?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It'll happen flav, particularly as more and more PPP's come on-stream, looking at sites like schools and public buildings. I mentioned this to CorkWAN a good while ago, that we should be prepared for when it happens, but I don't think anything else came of it.

(The standard rebuttal is that the power output of 802.11 gear is way, way lower than mobile phones. I'm not sure that'll be a sucessful defense unless the wireless companies come together and do some real research into it. And I'm not talking about cellular-style "research" here.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

JD thats the kiddie hopefully in the name of good neighborly relations they might hook me up to there wireless network, ill be about 1km from where they are building this thing.:D

flav0rflav take a chill pill dude :D

It bugs me a little too Stonemason. Not only was the title mystifying, I had to click on the link - at the /bottom/ of your post - to try and figure out what the hell you were talking about. Intuitive titles and clear posts is just common courtesy. We're not in After Hours you know.*

adam

I think I had a thread deleted in After Hours earlier on and I'm very bitter about it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Missed this last night, Thread title edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i must admit i worry about being bathed in em (electromagnetic radiation all the time i can't really see how it goes with the green ethos

Anyone know of any research being done into this yet? Doesn't bother me at all, but then I'd sell my own mother for bb.

Ma!

adam

It is a good point about radiation though if memory serves me write when chorus started there rather limited BB service it really gauled me that they happily slapped up an MDS system contaminating my local area with microwaves then proceeded to only suply Limerick city some 30 miles away.:mad:

It would be nice to find out which is worse radio waves ala skylinc,s system or microwaves!!.

Doesn't bother me at all, but then I'd sell my own mother for bb.

But what about them little things called children you either have or hope to have one day:eek: .

PS With all the mobile masts arround the place could it realy get any worse ?

If you click the link and go to the bottom of the HOME page there is another link for respected sites on the subject ,scary stuff indeed

LINK TO POWERWATCH UK :eek:

and i thought i was the only paranoid one, my office has 2 bars mobile phone reception (2.5foot stone walls ) -outside 5 bars
    remeber your brain works on small electrical impulses ........

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Stonemason
    But what about them little things called children you either have or hope to have one day:eek: .
    Perhaps I should have started out with my usual form: Have you looked into the facts of this at all? Are you aware that the power output of wireless masts is about a hundreth of that of a mobile phone mast? Can you point to peer-reviewed research that proves wireless is detrimental to the health of human beings? ednwireland, so does everything in your gaff.

See what I mean flav? And these guys are supposed to understand technology, can you imagine what the soccer moms will be like? However, everything's ok, myself and a colleague came up with a plan last night. We're going to draw up a pretty pie chart, using a Toyota Previa as the source, which will contrast emissions from cellular and WiFi. So cellular will be most of the Previa, wheras wireless will be, like, the wheels. Soccer moms understand Toyota Previa's. :rolleyes:

adam

Every soccer mom knows their sons can only sell their grandma for suasages ...

I only mentioned the environmental aspects as it was an Eco Village who are using wireless, and, of all the people that might react, with or without research, you'd have to expect them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I always wonder about these objections to wireless because of the "radiation", we are constantly being bombarded by em radiation, that big yellow ball in the sky (which we can actually see today) is pumping it ot all the time .
    Solar flares can knock out sensitive electrical circuits, power grids satellites etc.
    Its not like these are military radar domes they're putting up. :D

As I recall we're protected from the majority of the Sun's radiation by the ionoshpere (?) and the Earth's magnetic field. But I don't work that kind of stuff day to day, so I may be wrong. Also, as these wireless systems go to ever higher frequencies they carry more energy, no?

ps. you've heard the story of the security guard found dead in an antenna complex, sitting in a deck chair in front of a dish, the morning after a particularly cold night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    I only mentioned the environmental aspects as it was an Eco Village who are using wireless, and, of all the people that might react, with or without research, you'd have to expect them to.
    I don't think there's any evidence of environmental or health problems from wireless networking since the power tends to be low. That is probably why they have no problem adopting the technology. We have to assume they've done a bit of research into the thing and that they are not simply nutcases.

I would not be surprised if a lot of them use mobile phones which have a demonstrable heating effect on the brain.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I would not be surprised if a lot of them use mobile phones which have a demonstrable heating effect on the brain.

suggesting that they are nutcases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    suggesting that they are nutcases?
    Well, if they used mobile phones while at the same time objecting to 100mW WiFi, then they certainly would be.

Do you use a mobile phone? Are you a nutcase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Well, if they used mobile phones while at the same time objecting to 100mW WiFi, then they certainly would be.

ISTR the Mobile Itself outputs around 600Mw at 1800Mhz . Wi-Fi outputs around 100Mw at 2400Mhz . The key diference is the Output.

You wont hold wi-fi units up against your head or have them in your pocket toastin yer scroats either

M

Do you use a mobile phone? Are you a nutcase?

No. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by ednwireland
    i must admit i worry about being bathed in em (electromagnetic radiation all the time i can't really see how it goes with the green ethos

AFAIK a single mobile phone puts out about 20 times more radiation then a wireless mast.

<edit> woops sorry i didn't notice somebody had already said that :$ </edit>

• Advertisement

Though you say wireless mast only put out a fraction of the radiation compared to mobiles its hardly a valid point considering that mobiles will still be here when you add the extra radiation from wirless masts.

I would happily get wireless BB in fact its likely to be the only way for me to get BB.Unlike the soccer mums mentioned i would like to see more evidence on its possible ill affects before i would pick up a plack in anger.That said i feel its not completly free of risk just because no one is making a big song and dance about it at the moment doesnt mean they wont in a few years when we have been living with this kind increased radiation for a longer period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Not only does a single mobile phone put out 20 times more power, you're pressing it directly against your head!

i didn't say it would stop me (iuse my mobile quite a lot) the only thing i would like is more info so i can make an informed decision, i sure the em output of the electric cable going to my sauna is pretty high (current drain of about 40amps)
    just curious if someone offered me wireless broadband i'd take it

Advertisement