Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarification and Branding

Options
  • 23-06-2003 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Never really considered getting this kind of work done myself but i'm just wondering does anywhere in Ireland do it? Is it legal here? What are your opinions on it? blah blah blah:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

what does it mean?
    Is it a form of tattoo only without ink?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It means to produce designs using scars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

i want to get it done on my back, a big circle going around, kind of like a rope design or else like an olive reed and then in the center get a tattoo of a flame and a dragon (all in black). it looks good in my head.

i dont think that you can get scarred in ireland, i have never heard of a place that will do it but there are plenty of places in the uk and amsterdam

i dont think that you can get scarred in ireland, i have never heard of a place that will do it

You've never heard of O'Connell Street or Patrick Street so ;)

Or Limerick for that matter :p

If you're really lucky you might get an eye poked out, I'd bet you'd look cool with an eye patch :)

The upshot was that you wont find any studio where you can walk in and pay to get work done in Ireland.

does that mean that i can take it that there are places that will do it on the qt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by solice
    does that mean that i can take it that there are places that will do it on the qt.

There are, yes, but they'll usually only do it on people they know. PM me if you want to know who does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vlad_Tepes

have nothing against tattoos or piercings, not even scarification, because it can be beautiful to change your body a little. But branding is too much...it's not even interesting. But that's my opinion, I guess there are people out there who like it.
    The most important thing about all those modifications is that you like it. What others think, doesn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'd love to get a scarification done on my upper arms/shoulders to tie into my tattoo on my back.

It would have to be the same design on both sides as I have this thing with things being balanced....

Would love to get some kind of scarification done. Love the little scars I have in places from various cuts through the years.

It would have to be the white twine type scar though(don't know the proper term), hate those big raised red/purple ones(keloid/hypertrophihc scars). Have seen some manky looking scarification designs in the white twine category as well, the flower design in particular makes a person's skin look like a doily. Linear/zig zag ones are nice IMO, would love a slashed effect on my chest (maybe light red marking/white twine scar) although I'd have to keep my torso firm for it to stay looking good.

maybe something like this scar but in slash effect: scar10.jpg

i want to get the laurel leaves (ancient greece) on my back as a scar, thicker at one end than the other so it looks like its 3d or going backwards, an elipse. i want that as a scar.

and then a dragon or a flame coming up in the middle. as a tattoo.

i would have to get half the scar done first, then the tattoo and then the rest of the scar for it too work

it would be over the whole back, quite big, i will loose alot of blood. but heh it will be worth it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

I should probably shut my mouth on this but i looked up some of the stuff on scarification and its sick. blood everywhere. not like normal tattooing, more like some crazy doctor with a scalpel. too heavy for me.

you could probably do it yourself I'd say.

you could probably do it yourself I'd say.

would u seriously consider doing it yourself. i dont mind getting cut but something about human instinct and nature, i dont think i could cut myself. and anyway, how exactly do u get the right cut so the scar wouldnt turn out all red and bulbous

nah probably not. Maybe if I get really depressed I can do something constructive while I'm cutting myself ;)

But I doubt half the practitioners out there are any more qualified than someone who took the instructions off the internet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 foymaster

you could easily do it to yourself
    or get one of your mates to do it,
    if i ever want one i'd do it myself with a clean scalpel.
    i couldn't forsee any problems if you could withstand the pain.

and cleaned it correctly, of course.

if one of my mates asked id be happy to do it.

id like to see someones portfolio first, i know none of my friends have portfolios so thats a no go area with them. most of my friends dont have a creative bone in their body and are not even the least bit creeative.

ill go to a "professional"

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

i dunno, ive seen some of the maori scarification and thought - wow - thats beautiful... but all the stuff ive seen on white people looks faded and blurry, and detail would seem impossible! now considering the nature of it and how one has to go about it to get it done may have somethin to do with so many bad ones or somethin... but maybe its our skin too? i think the darker the skin, the more defined the end result is, so i think it would be useless for me to look towards doing... unless it was a large and very simplistic piece, to complement a tattoo or something...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Jebuz! :D Detailed it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

yeah.. imagine that in a few yrs though... when its all healed up and fading back into the skin... i think the only scarification that looks well is the really really deep stuff so the scar raises a lot... though thats very hard to get done properly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

if any of yis know miss fantasias, glen the piercer in there.. he does everything.. to himself.. and imsure would do things on the qt for a nice high price.. hes got insertions, scarifacations (done with acid and scalpul as far as i know) hes got the lot.. askin him is yer best bet.. round the corner from stepens green across the rd from the hideout pool hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 john grennan

i was looking for it meself my tattooist said bodyshock in dublin is the only place certified to do it :D he said the man who does it wont just do you for the sake of doing you he needs a realationship with his client :) to make sure you are in a right frame of mind to get it done :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Being an unregulated industry in Ireland, I doubt there's any certification that he could get that would be valid in this country, but it's possible he got a certification elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Isadora

Kay in Wildcat in Stephens green does some cool scarification. Check her out:

http://www.wildcat.ie/index.php?main_page=gallery&JGALL_DIR=Kay/&JGALL_IMG=1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Its a real pity scarification hasn't taken off here in Ireland, I suppose all we need is a few willing clients and artist.. sorry to say Im not one of the willing, haha. Definitely wouldn't have the balls to have someone take a scalpel to my leg for purely ashthetic reasons.

And think about the aftercare, say you want a vicious lookin' scar, hypertrophic keloid the whole shibang.. I wouldnt be able to sit in my bath and scrub an open wound with lemon juice.. would you? :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This has to be a record---almost 6 year old thread.

Id love to try something like the Liver bird above but I do reckon with my pasty white skin Id just end up with a slightly less pasty scar :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Nothin wrong with grave diggin' as long as the topic is still.. topical :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nothin wrong with grave diggin' as long as the topic is still.. topical :confused:

Maybe so but 6 years almost to the day is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

ireland is way behind the times piercing wise, hanging styles haven't taken off, large lobes are only a recent phenomenon (outside of piercers and tattooists)

so yeah, won't take off for a while yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

i want it but it sounds (and looks really painful) i checked it out on bme (i ask myself why now?????) and loads of people (mostly emo's) do it themselvs (OUCH)!!!1

Advertisement