Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem - isdn....

• 23-06-2003 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

im buying a pc, probably with a 56k modem.
    however im going abroad and will be connecting it to broadband... how do i connect to broadband... through the modem?
    or do i have to buy something else? if so what?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

56k cant connect to broadband, different technology used for each.

what you may need to do is have both installed, but most broadband have external hardware,and a 56k modem can be installed into your pc but afaik broadband modems are external, correct me if im wrong.

Get in contact with the loacl computer store where ever you are going to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there are internal adsl modems afaik but u don't say which type of broadband you're going to be using so just for the record cable broadband needs an ethernet card to connect to a external cable modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

would those 10/100 ethernet connections do? i have one or 2 on my mobo but i can't use them.....damn 56k...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh they'll do cos the max you can go with cable broadband is 600k in ireland atm so 10/100 should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

most if not all broadband providers here give you all the kit u need to get online, you might, as mentioned need a network card tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

The PCI modems are much better as far as I know the USB ones are ****e.Better ping with the PCI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

you need one of these. THey wiull fit into the ethernet port on your pc. afaik thats an excellent modem. (for dsl mind, not cable)

Advertisement