Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celeron or P4 - which is better?

• 23-06-2003 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

intel Celeron or P4 - which is better?tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

depends on what hardware, and how deep your pockets are

celerys for laptops

p4 for desktops

there are a few p4 laptops, but they are VERY expensive.

Me im a P4 head..

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if ya looking to putting a system together for games then a P4 is the only way to go outta the two options you supplied (you could go AMD)

but if it's a cheap pc you're looking for, for like business then celerons do the job nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Look, a P4 is better than the celeron in any situation, regardless of cost!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's cheaper
    Actually it all depends on the amount of CACHE on the chip

correct me if I am wrong but both process the same instructions in the same number of clock cycles - the big differenc being the size and speed of cache....

on earlier celerons the cache ran at half the speed it ran on the P4 - so they were way more overclockable - Now look at the prices for Xeon processors - you are paying about €5,000 for what is essentially 2GB of cache !!!! - for that I'd rather have 4 celerons or amd in parallel and keep €3,000 ....

Tthen there is the whole AMD argument - there is a chance they will have such a head start in the market with i386 compatible 64 bit chips that intel will have to make chips compatible with AMD :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

P4 owns j00 all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by ConsultClifford
    intel Celeron or P4 - which is better?tnx

What are you building/upgrading desktop/ laptop :rolleyes:

Advertisement