Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE6 freezes on sites with pop ups

Options
  • 23-06-2003 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hey,
    Wondering if anyone knows if there is a work around for the problem of IE6 consuming a large amount of CPU cycles when presented with certain pop ups..
    Pop-ups almost always freeze the browser for about 30seconds to 1 minute for some reason (333mhz PII) , its very infuriating.

I've tried using opera but it seems a bit slugish over all compared to IE6 on non popup sites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Not a perfect solution, but disabling javascript wll certainly stop pop ups. It can also stop some sites from working properly too tho. Instead of disabling it you can have it prompt you whenever some javascript tries to run, but I found this a bit annoying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

with java errors and then into debugger

solution - stay away from incompatible sites like www.microsoft.com !

BTW: this only started after I allowed 2000 to apply all the patches it found ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

other cycle stealing

All the usual ad-aware and other malware and spyware stuff is worth removing. Also if you run zonealarm it will catch some of the 16 ways XP tries to phone home with data about you for M$'s files... there is a lot of cycle stealing going on - and there are a load of services you could stop too..

http://www.hevanet.com/peace/microsoft.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

- Got Windows 2000, not XP
    - Have Zone Alarm, nothing out of order there
    - I run Adaware & Spybot Search and destroy regularly
    - Have up to date Norton AV also

IE6 still makes a song and dance out of pages with pop ups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which opera are use trying I'm running v7.11 build 2887
    and it seems the quickest browser I've used yet. That said its not without a weakness - certain Java aps cause a freeze if you try to stop the ap as it gets going - like the BBCs ticker-tape feature which is an annoyance if there ever was one.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Get mozilla, I find it to be infinitely superior: a great browser and email client, but then again realistically I'm not the greatest fan of MS

www.mozilla.org

Advertisement