Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pagan celebrations on June 23?

Options
  • 23-06-2003 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

I'm not a pagan myself, but am off to a clifftop bonfire tonight. We have several in our village, mostly around the beaches so as not to disturb the rare corncrakes nesting in the fields. We still observe the old tradition of throwing sticks from the embers into the fields to ensure a good harvest.

So I'm just curious: do pagans have any celebrations on the 23rd, or are they centred on the 21st?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

for me it is the 21st :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yep, I normally use whatever day the astronomical solstice falls on, which this year was the 21st. That's why I thought http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77055 might be useful to some people.

The evening of the 23rd (St. John's Eve) has long been a traditional day to celebrate midsummer's in Ireland and as such there are Irish Pagans who use that day (see Janet and Stewart Farrar, Eight Sabbats for Witches).

Advertisement