Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmation on dodgy mobo

• 24-06-2003 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

loa folks,

Am getting intermitant blue screens (and always one if i load up ms word 2000). I recently added memory after which the problems started. I removed the new memoy and then problem persisted. I then tried the new mem without the old and still same problem. Then brought some other memory in and once again same problem. Tried using the other DIMM, same problem.

The BSOD im getting is 'unexpected kernel mode trap' which apparently is almost always caused by a memory error.

I am assuming at this stage that the RAM itself is ok which would lead me to believe that its a problem with the mobo. (isnt there something like a memory controller? might this be damaged?)

Any advice/ confirmation to my worst fears that it is indeed the mobo and that ill need to get a new one.

Thanks

(why would it always bsod on loading word? and only intermitantly otherwise?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What type of mobo is it and what type of ram?
    Have you altered any setting for the rams timings?
    Did you have to install any drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

mobo: It's a Dell Dimension 4100 (p3). Unable to find out what mobo. Sandra blue screens and can't find documentation. Google wasnt very helpful :(

Ram: Tried Kingston and no name pc133 ram. (original in there was pc133)

Havent touched any of the settings for RAM timings.
    Didn't need to install any drivers.

(any ideas where i might find a seriel code on the mobo? ill need to find out what it is if im going to replace it if that is indeed the problem)

Is this problem only effecting word or is it causing grief for all applications? If its just office try re-installing windows 2k. Do this before the stuff below. Winxp and Win2k require a reinstall when certain hardware is added to a system Iv been told. Try booting off the Win2k disc and selecting the repair option.

Ok there should be a white barcode on the back of that pc with some numbers on it. Go to the Dell website and check out their support section to get the info on that particular Dell pc. Make sure your using the correct type of ram.

Put back in the original ram and in bios select safe/default options. Make sure you put the ram back in the same slots as before.

The mobo is an E139761. Eventually found the right code (theres quite a few stickers ;) )

Its causing grief for a lot of applications, i assume all. But it doesnt always happen in other progs when they start. It does in word 2000. (sandra blue screened or would just reboot)

Will try the repair option after ive inserted original ram and set stuff to default in the bios.

Nothing has helped. Same Problems as before.
    Guess ill have to replace the motherboard.

Thanks for your help Venom. Its appreciated.

• Advertisement

Np mate, but I'd wait to get a reply from the more serious tech heads before replaceing anything as Dell pc's tend to use custom parts so you can only buy from dell. A normal mobo wont fit into your del case.

o. great :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

according to dell peats in parness st. sell them .. ( mobo's with the front port ) i was just onto them . and peats say they can order it in but need the exact model number

Whats this mobo with a front port? Ill give em a ring ne ways and see if they can help m out.

n1 :)

each one is different . since i got one i need replaced also im going up to them 2mor with mobo in hand and asking for a new one . if the computer dosnt work after this im going to set it on fire. i think its v.bad the way dell have made the motherboard to only work in there case's

• Advertisement

Yer tis a pain in the ass all right, at least Peats aint too far from here.

It is such a pain in the hole the way Dell construct their pc's but I guess thats the price you have to pay for there cheepish prices.

I ended up upgrading to a mostly new system sue to the cost of adding an extra 512mb rambus memory. Needless to say I'll never buy a name brand pc agin. i'll just make up my own as in the long run it works out a hell of alot better and cheeper.

i agree with ya venom, i always build my own but the office immworking at has all brand name pc's. personally i dont think its worth replacing the mobo in it. Its only a 900mhz machine but its one of the better ones here so ah well. more fun for me.

Peats are such expensive bastids as well :(

dont know about cheap'r but u do get a better system if u biy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by elexes
    dont know about cheap'r but u do get a better system if u biy
    You can make a puter cheaper than Dell, but only a high end one ... they are very good value on the lower end..

Advertisement