Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Outlook Keeps crashing

Options
  • 24-06-2003 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Been having this weird problem lately with Outlook.
    The PC is only out of the box - but I wouldn't call it new. Its 1.2 Ghz, with 256MB Ram, running windows XP standard edition.

Every now and then outlook keeps crashing, easily at least 8 times a day (i leave it running constantly). The error that pops up gives no information other than that it is sending a report - the more details show nothing but info about the pc. After going into computer management and looking at the event viewer, the error mentioned there is "Fault bucket 21440967" amoung others.....

I don't know if its related, but sometimes while Im typing an email in plain text, the text flickers to what it looks like if I was editing the email in html?????

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Starting to annoy me now, whilst typing emails it crashes and doesnt even save a copy to drafts!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

remove it and reinstall it again. (obvious I know.. but it would be my first step)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

could be corruption in the settings for the pst.

try running the inbox repair tool first and see if it picks up anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and windows sends messages back to M$ - and in an ideal world they'd fix the problem...

Is your OS on it's third sercvice pack ?
    Have you downloaded and installed ALL the security patches ?
    Have you applied Patches for office ?

Is word mail turned off (Will that ever work ?)

(not outlook express is it? - because that is not Outlook )

In either case make sure you have good AV software 90-95% of email viruses affect only O or OE ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Thanks captain - im a little more savvy than you are making me out to be, just this is the first time i have ever encountered this problem and by way of error reporting, i haven't got much to go on!

yes its definitely outlook - if you read my post i gave version etc..
    yes i have installed all the latest patches etc, in fact beginning to wonder if it was one of the patches that has caused this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

the text flickers to what it looks like if I was editing the email in html?????

You might want to get a priest to look at it!

• Advertisement

You might want to get a priest to look at it!

LOL - maybe I should, or else get my glasses checked!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: yes its definitely outlook - if you read my post i gave version etc... windows XP standard edition .

Windows - does not contain outlook.

General Note for other viewers.
    Windows contains IE which contains a version of Outlook Express which is a totally different and inferior product to Outlook
    Outlook is part of M$ office. OE is free - Outlook needs a licence and needs another licence if you want to connect to an Exchange server - and you can't connect to exchange with OE etc...

If you do have Outlook and are not using Exchange then you could setup OE to check if the problem is on the Application front end or Mapi32 back end (in outlook closing without choosing log off means that the back end is still runing and you can still get pop ups when new mail arrives)

If it is outlook then I prefer to use the corporate settings - ('otherwise it dont connect to exchange) but you can edit and select profiles

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    RE: yes its definitely outlook - if you read my post i gave version etc... windows XP standard edition .

Windows - does not contain outlook.

Apologies - I thought I had said Microsoft office XP! Even I didnt read my own post! ;) lol

Don't use exchange - oe works fine.

Advertisement