Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can DVD's be copyed

• 24-06-2003 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

im buying a P4 with a 48x DVD/CD-ReWriter Combo Drive

1 question - do DVDs not have some encryption software to prevent copying? thought they would!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

there was a thread up here a while ago

search for dvdxcopy or the such, quick tho before it gets banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

if your looking to copy a dvd straight to a blank dvd a dvd/cdrw drive is no use to you, all that will do is play dvd's and burn cd's. you will need a dvdR/RW drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

DVDs use Macrovision protection to prevent copying. A Norwegian teenager cracked this when he wrote DeCSS. There are many products out there that use DeCSS to decrypt the DVD data so that you can make an unencrypted physical copy. One of the better ones would be DVD Decrypter in ISO mode. You should then be able to burn the ISO to a blank DVD using a DVD burner (not a DVD - CDRW combo, they can only read DVDs). If your original DVD is DVD-9 format however you will find that your blank DVDs aren't big enough. You will then need transcoding software.

A good resource for all of the problems posed above is doom9.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by bazH
    there was a thread up here a while ago

search for dvdxcopy or the such, quick tho before it gets banned

making a back up copy of a DVD is not illegal so i don't see why it should be deleted, it is illegal to sell copied DVD's or to buy a copied DVD that you do not have an original copy of.

I wanted to backup my dvd's to divx and had a look at Gordian Knot...whoaa!! talk about intimidating.

Is it as complex as it looks or should I stop using DVDx and give it a go???

Also I thought DivX 4.12 was best for DVD backup.....is DivX 3.11 the standard version used?

• Advertisement

For one, this topic is probably likely to get the thread locked / deleted, but I shall digress until that happens.

xvid is a superior video codec to divx, it is also open-source and free.

There are tutorials that will help you on doom9.org's main site, though it is still overly complicated IMHO.

I have my own methods but doom9 is a much better place to learn rather than listening to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you got something like Gordian Knot and weren't expecting it to be complicated!

not being funny, but the name alone should give it away, even if you don't know what it's supposed to do.

You aren't Alexander the Great are you? ;)

No you're not being funny...you're being an ass.

I was expecting complicated not over-complicated

FYI Gordian Knot is the name of a band.

Gordian Knot displays just about the worst UI I have ever seen. Its not very complex to use once you figure out what has to be done, but the interface really needs work.

You might prefer Robot4Rip (R4R) by the same author. Its much easier to use for n00bs, but its not finished :/

hostyle would you say the Gordian Knot is the software used by rls groups such as Deity, ViTE etc for dvdrips?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by hostyle
    FYI Gordian Knot is the name of a band.
    FYI hostyle, the band got their name from the knot that Midas used to tie up his waggon in the acropolis, which was then only to be untied by the person who was to rule the kingdom. said person eventually being Alexander The Great.
    Originally posted by Katelyn Victorious Apparel
    No you're not being funny...you're being an ass.

I was expecting complicated not over-complicated
    OK, so I'm an ass, sue me.

As for over complicated you might want to try DVDXCopy if you just want a one click option, with no 'over' complicated settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the g knot software has a very bad ui imo but dose come with all the programs you need to copy a dvd to cdr dont use the ui use the programs seperate

oops I think you may be wrong again...on first glance dvdxcopy seems to be software for DVD to DVD backup.

If you read my post it said DVD to DivX

Nevermind, its just not your day.

would you say the Gordian Knot is the software used by rls groups such as Deity, ViTE etc for dvdrips?

Doubtful. They probably use their own combination of programs and scripts that, in sum, end up like Gordian Knot.

Gordian Knot is basically a program written on top of lots of programs (DVD Decrypter, DVD2AVI, AviSynth, BeSweet, VirtualDub, xvid, etc.) ...

Gordian Knot is useful for getting to know the ropes with ripping and encoding. In fact, ripping is very easy - its getting coding / filters right thats hard. And when you get to the level of filter tweaking and encoding fiddling, it doesn't matter what program you're using (though I'd bet wads of cash that most pro release groups use VirtualDub for this) - its all about the filters and codecs which just basically plug-in to so many other programs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Backing up your DVD's is very easy. There are 2 types of DVD's. DVD-5's which at approx 4.5GB (single layered DVD's). You can back these up using DVD Decryptor which will rip the DVD and then burn it. DVD-9's are a bit more difficult (dual layered DVD's). Reason been that they are 9.7GB (approx) in size. To backup a DVD-9 to a blank DVD you will have to either backup to 2 discs or remove extra's/subs/menu's/audio extras. A very good guide for DVD-9 to DVD-5 backup can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Best method imo is to rip with dvddescrypter and then use instantcopy, by far the easiest way with best results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    Best method imo is to rip with dvddescrypter and then use instantcopy, by far the easiest way with best results.

It used to be, but now there's a new kid on the block- DVDShrink.

It's completely free, less than a meg in size and utterly fantastic. Use it together with Nero for the ultimate in DVD backups.

I don't even touch Instant Copy anymore. It's slow and the results aren't as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I use DVD2one which is pretty good (after removing all extra's with infoedit as per the link to the guide I posted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can use DVDDecrypter to rip the DVD to your hard disk. You can then use DVDx to convert to divx. DVDx may also handle the DVD ripping, I'm not sure. EasyDivx is another option for the divx conversion.

Do a google search to find the software. All are freeware and really very easy to use.

DVD2one, DVDxCopy, DVDShrink, InstantCopy, etc. are all very good programs and easy to use but they are for copying a DVD to a new DVD rather than converting to divx, which I believe is what you want to do.

Originally posted by Katelyn Victorious Apparel
    oops I think you may be wrong again...on first glance dvdxcopy seems to be software for DVD to DVD backup.

If you read my post it said DVD to DivX

Nevermind, its just not your day.
    wrong again? I haven't been wrong yet. I when I saw your post I assumed you were the original poster and didn't really pay much attention to the specifics of the post, I just took the main subject of the thread and saw Gordian Knot and being the smart ass I am (did you notice?) I wnet straight back to the original subject without a second thought.

No biggie. Anyway, I was right about the Gordian Knot thing (unless the band were around before Midas), and about me being an ass, so aside from a minor misconception about you wanting to copy to DivX I think I've done quite well, all things considered.

If you're interested in copying to DivX then I'd suggest DivX-Digest they have alll the info you could possibly want on the subject including the tools to do the job.

I'm sure there used to be a site called VCD Guide, but I'm buggered if I can find it now. Maybe they got taken down with the guy that did isonews.

edit: found it (thanks to earlier post) it was called VCDHelp (www.vcdhelp.com) but they are now www.dvdrhelp.com (as posted earlier)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Trebor
    making a back up copy of a DVD is not illegal so i don't see why it should be deleted, it is illegal to sell copied DVD's or to buy a copied DVD that you do not have an original copy of.
    Er, yes it is. I've "backed up" (read "ripped") a small number of DVDs and I've done so in the certain knowledge that it wasn't kosher. Perhaps you're confusing this with the right granted in most software licences to make a single backup copy, perhaps you just heard it from a mate. Either way, "backing up" a DVD of a movie is certainly illegal under Irish and UK law. In the US there's a fair use provision in their 1976 Copyright Act, there's no corresponding right under Irish law. I'm not making a judgement call, I'm just correcting the above statement.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Er, yes it is. I've "backed up" (read "ripped") a small number of DVDs and I've done so in the certain knowledge that it wasn't kosher. Perhaps you're confusing this with the right granted in most software licences to make a single backup copy, perhaps you just heard it from a mate. Either way, "backing up" a DVD of a movie is certainly illegal under Irish and UK law. In the US there's a fair use provision in their 1976 Copyright Act, there's no corresponding right under Irish law. I'm not making a judgement call, I'm just correcting the above statement.

thank's for clearing that up :)

just most of the articals i read are based on cases in america and the fair usage policy.

must really look up irish copyright law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the right to copy dvd a dvd is atm bing discussed in various courts around the globe including the EU but from what i know you are not ment to copy a dvd in any form . i dont see how your allowed to copy your music cd's/game cd's but not your dvd's . it makes no sence imo

Originally posted by elexes
    the right to copy dvd a dvd is atm bing discussed in various courts around the globe including the EU but from what i know you are not ment to copy a dvd in any form . i dont see how your allowed to copy your music cd's/game cd's but not your dvd's . it makes no sence imo

i know, i thought that if you bought something you could do what ever you wanted with it as long as you did not profit it from it

Not being funny, but the whole making copies thing is a very grey area, but personally as an IT Professional (i.e. Puter Dude:D) I don't think I've actually carried an original CD of anything round with me for years.

All my original OS/Apps etc. disc's are safely tucked away and only ever come out of hiding if I need to make a new backup copy because one of the old ones is giving errors.

I don't have DVD copies of my movies to watch, as they don't get nearly as much use as my PC discs, but I do have DivX rips of most of them 'just in case' because it's always been second nature for me to do.

On the OS side of it, I have no end of trouble with Win98 discs giving errors, and I reckon I have more copies of that laying around than anything else. All you need to do is get a smudge on the fecking things (originals or copies) and they start throwing up errors. I'm sure M$ do it on purpose to get up everyone's nose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

One thing to bear in mind is that the blanks dvd's that are available in shops are 4.7gb and most films will be larger than this. As a result you'll probably use about 2 dvd's per film. Not really an issue , just thought I'd add my 2 cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

For converting a DVD to a Single CD-R i use: "ADB"

http://www.johnnyowl.com/

Go to the ADB section and download it, very simple and easy to use?

I know this is not DVD to DVD but its still sweet!

Go to the ADB section and download it, very simple and easy to use?

audio can only be encoded to ogg vorbis and video is restricted to DivX 5.0.3 or higher....hmmm....try DVDx instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by elexes
    i dont see how your allowed to copy your music cd's/game cd's but not your dvd's . it makes no sence imo
    Doesn't make sense, you're right. Here's why it makes sense though: you don't have the right to copy your music CDs here either.

Software CDs can be backed up (legally:)) if the licence says you can (usually just once, though it would depend on the click-through).

Like vibe666 implied though - are you really going to spend a silly amount of money on MS Office (for example) and not back it up if you've the facility to do so? Thought not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement