Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Zyxel 630/Win98 Problem

Options
  • 24-06-2003 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Was setting up broadband for a client today and ran into trouble with the Zyxel 630 usb dsl modem eircom had supplied. Installed and connected up fine but no way could we browse or do anything on the net. PC was running Win98 Second Edition and the problem lies between the zyxel drivers and win98.

After a 4 hour call to eircoms tech support we got it sorted. The eircom bloke emailed me the fix for it should I encounter it again so I thought Id stick it up here in case anyone else needs it.

I have to say as well Eircoms support in this case was brilliant. Im no fan of the company and havent thought much of their support in the past but this guy was great and without him we wouldnt have got it sorted.

Fix is as follows:

"Hi

Here it the Fix for the issue you are having with regards to a compatablitly issue between Windows 98 and the Zyxel 630 USB

Copy the driver folder from the Zyxel CD to your desktop
    From the driver folder delete the AmeCfg.ini file
    Download http://homepage.eircom.net/~speedtest/AmeCfg.ini to the Driver folder
    Note: You will have to type in the full name and will have to press "GO" in Internet Explore to do the search as ENTER will not work
    Download http://homepage.eircom.net/~speedtest/setup.exe (this is the eircom istream software) probably just to the desktop and you will have to press GO again.
    Once both files have been downloaded uninstall the modem using the
    cleanup.exe file which can be found on the zyxel installation CD in the Drivers folder (its a Green Icon)
    Remove the CD and use the driver folder on the cd to install the modem. This will ask you do you want to set it up as PPPoE or RFC 1483 (it will appear as RFC 22 something). Set it up as RFC 1483 and in the following menu choose Bridged.
    Run the setup.exe (eircom istream s/w) from the desktop and this will prompt you for your ADSL username and password."

Advertisement