Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips on tweaking my XP machine to get better performance

Options
  • 24-06-2003 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

To all,

I have an P4 1.8GHrz with 256MB 233 MHz DDR RAM, GeForce2 64MB, running WindowsXP Home Edition. I have patched all to the latest version. I dial in using ASE on an 64kb ISDN connection using Oceanfree as ISP.

Before I start a game I stop all uneccessary processes using the Windows Task Manager.

Are there any XP tweaks that are worth while that will speed the system.

Note: I will be upgrading the system shortly to GeForce FX 5600 and an addtional 256 DDR RAM (motherboard only supports a max of 233 MHz).

The Duke : ))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

There's an application called (I think) TweakXP which puts all the common registry/performance tweaks 'under one roof'. Also, unless I'm very much mistaken (entirely possible) they're giving a version of it away free with this month's Computer Shopper magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I wouldnt recommend Tweaking it, ive done that before and i ended up losin all my Data on my hard drive. I would just recommend upgrading your machine. I have a P4 3.06Ghz, G4 TI 4600, 512DDram, 140GB hardrive, and i got it all for £900- which turns out to be E1260. Plus ive herd G FX is meant to be ****e you probably better off goin for a Ge4 TI 4800 or Ge4 TI 4600 its cheaper and it has 500mhz clocking speed. or wait till G4 FX 5800 comes out it has all the problems fixed and is meant to run like a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

TweakXP is a fantastic programme. You can d/l and run it 30 times for free anyway.
    i ended up losin all my Data on my hard drive

How the hell did you manage to do that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I dunno i thinnk my brother Deleted sum files the retard, so it wouldnt run. so we had to Wipe off everything off the hard drive and start over. I guess its more on my fault, but i still recommend upgrading to a new system :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

true , just upgrade the machine.. ram ram ram ram
    i have 640 MB ram and this really did make my machine run like a train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

so tweakXP is good and reliable?? cuz i tried some other supposed performace enhancer and all it did was make a comp go a bit mad, so i had to get rid of it and restore. Also it came up everytime u turned on the comp, which was really annoying! So is tweakXP good and reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Get the newer generation graphics card, the older 4800's and so on are just Direct X 8, while the newer cards support Direct X 9!!!!!!!!! Most new games such as Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will make use of the added Direct X 9 features. The FX 5800 and FX 5900 are both meant to be great cards. Or the new ATI 9800 is just uber as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

TweakXP is good and reliable. Even just get it for the ad blocker or popup killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by suppafly
    so tweakXP is good and reliable?? cuz i tried some other supposed performace enhancer and all it did was make a comp go a bit mad, so i had to get rid of it and restore. Also it came up everytime u turned on the comp, which was really annoying! So is tweakXP good and reliable?
    that's what happens when you install a program you saw advertised on a banner on a dubious site:rolleyes:

i find right clicking on 'my computer', choosing properties, clicking the advanced tab, clicking 'settings' in the performance box & then disabling all the visual effects usually adds a bit of a performance boost.

oh yeah, you can access those settings from within tweak xp as well afaik, so you might as well just give that a d/l...
    http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10208074.html?tag=lst-0-3

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GF FX5800 are terrible really loud if ya want a good card go for the FX5900 or ATI radeon 9800

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

he's already said that he's getting a fx5600, more of a radeon fanboy myself, but that's an alright card for the price range

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

thanks for all the replies... I've downloaded the TweakXP tool and will give it a shot over the weekend.

So there is not magic setting appart from the ususal of freeing up memeory and not having too many services running.

And re the 5800/5900 that is just way out of my budget - anyho, remember I am comming from a GeForce2 so in any case it'll be allot better :cool: .

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

It's been a very long time since I played arround with hardware.

I am thinking of going for the following memory stick (@ €71) -

DDR-DIMM PC2100 512MB DDR CL2.5
    - Generic Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC266mhz)

Should I have any concerns about this working in my motherboard/allong side the existing DDR 266Mhz RAM?

Advertisement