Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone elses line failed the DSL test ?

Options
  • 24-06-2003 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious to see how many others are in the same boat. I've just got a mail back from UTV saying my line has failed. I've tried talking to Eircom but as expected no one has anything to say beyond order a new line and it "might" pass.

This is not good enough. I would be interested in seeing the numbers that have failed and to see if we can put some pressure on Eircom to commit to fixing the lines especially considering we are paying the highest line rental charges in Europe (I'd like some stats details on this as well if possible).

Gandalf.

(My line is in the D16 area.)

Has your line failed the DSL test? 94 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    69% 65 votes
    Haven't tested it yet.
    30% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

voted

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

Yep
    Got the same email today from UTVeven though i live within a mile of the exchange . i filled out a complaint form on the eircom site . i wouldnt mind if i was 5 or 6 km away . it seems ridicilous . I gonna have to try IOL now might even get Eircom to try the lines and see if they pass for them even though they wouldnt pass them for UTV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Based Baldoyle, Dulbin 13 - failed.

Should this not be a Comreg issue ?

I don't think that Eircom should continually be allowed to increase line rental charges and still be allowed to have so many areas who's lines haven't been installed to the same specifcations, thus ensuring that so many people can't get Broadband.

I would also be interested to know how many of the people who fail these tests are already using UTV or another carrier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I voted no ... even though my line failed LOADS of times (I was asking for the line to be tested on a regular basis:p ) ... but just last week it has started passing .... woot

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I live in Celbridge and have passed the line test with UTV.
    I am already a UTVip dialup user.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Got the same email today from UTVeven though i live within a mile of the exchange
    Don't forget that it is the length of the copper run to the exchange, not necessarily the distance. Sitting several feet from the exchange could still involve a few km of copper run, so its not always a straight "as the crow flys" distance. Also in the UK there were parts of BT's network were built with aluminum after the war because it was then cheaper than copper - people hanging off these parts of the network (very very few in our experience) can not get ISDN/DSL. I've never heard of this on Eircoms network though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Martin I think the problem is with the shoddy state of the Eircom network and I have heard of Eircom using cheaper cable and given their track history it would not surprise me.

NIBBS in answer to your query yes this is a Comreg issue but its also a issue for Eircom because I pay them some of my hard earned money for a hobbled service. Normally in the real world if someone is ripping me off I can move my custom elsewhere, I have a choice but with Telecommications in this country we still don't have a choice with regard to the last mile connection and Eircom are taking advantage of this with impunity.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Myself and one of my house mates had a number of arguements in the past few weeks with eircom over our line failing the DSL test despite being less than 3km from the exchange and also about the crap connection speeds we're getting connection with 56k modems. Their attitude was once we could make telephone calls fine then everything was hunkey-dorey as far as they were concerned and were under no obligation to replace\upgrade the line just so we could get better internet connection speeds. I think one biddy actually said €ircom are a telephone company, not an internet company....
    Only option was to fork out the extra cash to get a new line that may or may not pass the DSL test.

only hope left is IBBs ripwave based service but dont know for definate if they'll cover where i live yet :(

Yeah Scruff that is exactly the attitude I am talking about. If they don't sell internet access then they shouldn't be advertising DSL or ISDN for that purpose.

What we need to do is to get the name of one person with responsibility for this area and target them. I believe that Ireland Offline need to add the objective to force the incumbant to sort out peoples lines in enabled areas so they can get ADSL. That or reduce their line rental to represent the fact they are being supplied with a inferior product.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

More are failing the line test then passing it, the whole infrastructure is ****ed, eircom are basically denying business to esatbt, netsource and UTV, potential customers just cant get it, i wish the other BB providers would get onto EIRCON and tell them that there losing business becuase of cheap copper, pair gain boxes whether above or below ground, street cabinets etc etc etc, the list just goes on and on, its ridiculous in this day and age that EIRCON can continually get away with false advertising, maintaining a network that just cant cope with the demands thats been put upon it, its almost criminal.

Comreg are powerlesss they dont wanna know, they make half assed attempts to please most of the people and its just not good enough.

the government makes declarations saying were getting this that and the other thing, then expect EIRCON to find someway to do it, EIRCON goto court over it, before ye know it its 5 years down the line, the rest of the world has moved on and were left
    stuck in the ****

Nothing will ever change until someone mounts a real challenge to eircon. take them to task and really **** them over, simple as that

Regards

Shin

exchange: waterford main (bb enabled exchange for esat and eircom)

Line: Going from exchange to street cabinet then from cabinet to splitter (splitter conjecture on my part but hey i know its there)then to house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

I haven't tested my line yet. I'm in a new estate in Lucan and I'm hoping for cable at the moment. I know it's early days on the poll but it looks bad for the infrastructure at the moment. I wonder if new estates (built over the last 5 years or so) would fair any better than the older ones? Are Eircom still fitting pairgains and dodgy cabling even in new developements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

one passed, then failed, then passed and is now a 1024/256 i-scream enhanced line
    the other one failed, then failed then failed again, and it looks like i'll have to get a ne line installed and wait four week berfore i can have it tested, and tehn maybe it'll pass

information age town,..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    Also in the UK there were parts of BT's network were built with aluminum after the war because it was then cheaper than copper - people hanging off these parts of the network (very very few in our experience) can not get ISDN/DSL. I've never heard of this on Eircoms network though.

I heard eircom went for TTC/POS* technology instead.

* = Two tin cans & a piece of string

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is why user created polls are A Bad Thing :)

There is nothing conclusive from this poll as it doesnt indicate where the lines are failing from.

If they are all in Dublin 2, then yes its damning to the infrastructure. If however the 18 votes so far have come from Inis mor then that wouldnt be too suprising would it?

Well Dustaz all I want is an idea of how bad the problem is. I'm assuming that those answering are from enabled exchanges and I believe inis mor is not enabled.

OK for Dustaz can everybody edit their posts with where their line is based.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Failed the test - in the middle of the 5 year old 'burbs, Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

THe Replys cant come from inis mor as they will only test areas in broadband enabaled exchanges . so the results are from people who should be able to get Broadband but cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Failed the test here in Monkstown, Dun Laoighire.

What is annoying is that it is due to substandard copper in the area, plain and simple.

I know it might seem rash to say this, but while I do not have facts, I do have some things which strongly allude to this being the case. To wit, my neighbour ten yards down the road can get, and indeed is getting, an ADSL product. He too failed the line test on his original line. However, after getting a new line last year, he was passed on this.

What really ticks me off is that at roughly the same time, maybe a bit earlier, I got a separate IDSN line which fails now.

Would I be wrong in thinking that Eircom's enabled claims in its adverts is both misleading and essentially false advertising? It would make far more interesting reading if they were forced to use the actual number of currently passed lines if they wished to use any number at all. Instead they get to pimp their "rollout" of broadband for all to see.

Disillusioned here, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Monkstown has some of the oldest copper in Irlenad, it had phones while Bell himself was still alive :D

Inis Mór has relatively new copper mostly less that 25 years old.

So stop dissing Inis Mór.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Failed today with UTV. In Inchicore D8. I did pass Eircoms online test thingie which i assume only checks if the exchange is upgraded?
    Frustrating, had broadband for 2 weeks before i was kicked out of my old apartment, still on the same exchange and cant get it now. Grrrrrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tony h01

Hi im living in Cobh and up to 5 days ago my line passed the test , however after changing my phone number it has failed the test , any one else ever come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by tony h
    Hi im living in Cobh and up to 5 days ago my line passed the test , however after changing my phone number it has failed the test , any one else ever come across this?
    You've changed your number within the last five days I take it? And just your number - same address, same physical line? The database should really reflect that but there's a good chance that it just doesn't get updated till the next test rolls around. There's no real reason why it shouldn't pass when that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Can anyone tell me what the story is with line tests and ISDN? I've isdn here and am afraid that I'll just fail it because of that. I remember my friend just downgraded from isdn and then got dsl that way and it worked, but it's still a bit risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm in D.15 and in a new house with a new line and it fails. I'm in the position to check a few other lines in the area and they all fail. When Eircom come to the door, which they do a lot since I'm with UTVIP. They always tell me that its rare for someone to fail im my area.

Ultimately theres naff all I can do.

Has anyone got a new line which then passed? or failed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by AndrewWK
    Can anyone tell me what the story is with line tests and ISDN? I've isdn here and am afraid that I'll just fail it because of that. I remember my friend just downgraded from isdn and then got dsl that way and it worked, but it's still a bit risky.

I've heard that if you have ISDN then they've probably cleaned up your line. So that if you cancel it then your line should pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

I'm ringing up tomorrow for a line test. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I live about 200 yards from two exchanges, Lucan and Lucan Ballydowd, although I'm on the Lucan exchange. According to the online test my line passes but on two occasions when I've applied for DSL the line fails. I've got ISDN for the past 2 years but I'm pissed off paying double line charges and double call charges for a quarter of the speed of DSL. Eircom are useless, I just get fobbed off everytime I ring to try and get them to do something about it. Its exasperating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

In Leixlip

3 Lines into house

Main Line / Brother's Line & my line.

First 2 pass for dsl, mine has failed ??

My line is the newest, less than a yr old & they had to lay new cable in the street, so i could get my line.

Still waiting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tony h01

thanks Sceptre you were right on the button my line passed no prob tonight now all i have to do is decide between Eircon or Esat Bt
    tony h in cobh :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by job
    3 Lines into house
    Main Line / Brother's Line & my line.

Still waiting :(
    What are you waiting for? Just get DSL on one of the other lines - it won't impact it's use as a phone line.

Advertisement