Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone elses line failed the DSL test ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Revoque

I live about 2.5 km from the exchange. Of the 14 houses on my road only 2 pass the DSL test,the house nearest the exchange and my dads house-the last house on the road. His is the oldest house with the oldest line running to it with 2 homemade connections on it after a tree fell on the line over 6 weeks ago and it still passed today,

go figure?

I have the newest line (ISDN) on the road, no splits or carriers, isdn works perfectly but still wont pass.

Guess me and the wife will have to move back in with dad !

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

My line failed a week and a half ago.

I got eircom to fix it.

Of course, I still have phonewatch, which there's apparently an issue with.
    Esat rep said that "the latest word" on the issue was that it would be resolved two weeks from now.

He also said that esat would be able to take up line rental charges in August, and that it'd be cheaper than eircom. Probably old news tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by CuLT

I got eircom to fix it.

Esat rep said that "the latest word" on the issue was that it would be resolved two weeks from now.

He also said that esat would be able to take up line rental charges in August, and that it'd be cheaper than eircom. Probably old news tho.

How did you get them to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    How did you get them to fix it?

yep took the words right out of my mouth

shin

I know someone in the company, a long-term Tech.

I also know someone who worked for eircom sales a few years ago. The sales people are more or less told to give the customer the runaround, no matter what.

That's why it took a week and a half as opposed to a day, I tried sales and lines first.

• Advertisement

I know someone in the company, a long-term Tech.

I also know someone who worked for eircom sales a few years ago. The sales people are more or less told to give the customer the runaround, no matter what.

That's why it took a week and a half as opposed to a day, I tried sales and lines first.

But what was the cause of the line failing. What did they do to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

A chap across the road from me tried getting broadband from IOL in our enabled exchange. My line already passed for it (exchange is just a few hundred metres up the road), but yet when he went to IOL his line, he failed. He doesn't have ISDN, Phonewatch, devices attached, an underground spring beneath his house or any of that crap. It was suggested that the copper leading to his house was waterlogged. I suggested a hairdryer, or maybe even blowing all that nasty static off the line. To think, my answer was more constructive than that of Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Moved house a few weeks ago. Called Eircom before moving in to make sure the line passed for broadband and was told that it did. Moved in and guess what.....yup its been failing ever since. Have checked a few numbers on the same street and they all pass. Have been leaving my phone unplugged the past few days just in case that has been causing a problem as it has a caller id display, seems like a ridiculous solution though. Is there any way to find out when Eircom actually test the lines?

I got eircom to fix it.

Just proves that they can fix the lines if they were bothered to get off there arse and actually do something about it

Bloody disgrace

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

my line is failing
    contact Eircom
    While (i stay on line)
    Keep fobbing me off()
    loop

• Advertisement

Originally posted by shinzon
    Just proves that they can fix the lines if they were bothered to get off there arse and actually do something about it

Bloody disgrace

Shin

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

On October 29th last year I put my number into the Eircom site.

I passed.

Last week I put my number in on the Eircom site as I wanted to get the trial.

I failed.

Must have been a bird sitting on a wire somewhere when Eircom did their phone test! Mind you Im after finding out that when we got a second digibox the gimps installed phone lines into the first and second digibox. Suffice to say I've disconnected these now.
    Alls I need is more devices hindering the line*

* based on other posts Ive read its better to disconnect as many devices as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Originally posted by egan007
    my line is failing
    contact Eircom
    While (i stay on line)
    Keep fobbing me off()
    loop

Loops work my line is ok now!!!!
    24 hours later!!!

Arghhhhhhhh! Stupid stupid Eircom

Next door neighbours either side passes the test.

Had engineer out this morning regarding some wiring issues. Very nice and pleasant I believe.

Fised wiring issues for us.Had laptop, did line test says all tests pass and showed my mother this.
    Mother asked "Im interested in broadband -What about broadband?"
    "Oh thats a different test they do by sending a pulse down the line. I cant say here whether it would pass for broadband or not"

The chap advised that we disconnect all other devices and get a test done so there and then mother asked him to disconnect others for us.
    Mother rang Eircom but obviously got a sales drone who did a "line test" and obviously it failed because all the stupid robot does is look at their database.
    So my mother said can you not do a line test now. She replied no they cant.
    Mother asked are you not trying to sell this product. "oh theres nothing I can do"

Engineer couldnt really do much other than offer the advice to keep stuff disconnected and mark today in calendar and perhaps check again in a few weeks.

I mean WTF!!! How goddamn incompetent can this company get? The sooner control of the last mile local loop is wrenched away from their hands the better.

In fairness the engineer was trying to be as helpful as possible but I thought (wrongly obviously!!) that the technology was present in this day and age to do a "broadband" compatibility line test there and then.

What irks me most is my line was passing when I wasnt interested in getting the broadband.

Also I have no idea when these muppets do their line test.

My best current opportunity to get broadband, engineer in the house and all passes me by because they apparently cannot do a line test there and then. (I struggle to believe that they cant do one there and then, I just think its the unhelpful people at sales eircom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I heard of a few people who had the same thing happen to them (line passed, and began failing after months of passing). You should still be able to order it over the phone from Eircom. Tell them it passed, tell them whatever you have to, to get them to enter the order for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    I heard of a few people who had the same thing happen to them (line passed, and began failing after months of passing). You should still be able to order it over the phone from Eircom. Tell them it passed, tell them whatever you have to, to get them to enter the order for you.

Hello? Have you ever dealt with eircom? That's a dumb suggestion. See my other threads about my experiences with them. My line was passing every single month since RADSL launched, I even saw the results of a line test esat did and it more than exceeded the min requirements, then suddenly last month my line fails, and eircom tell Netsource it's failing because my line was terminated LAST YEAR.

Comreg are f*cking unbelievable, all they did was tell eircom i'd made a complaint and eircom did SFA to investigate it, I was demanding to know who told netsource my line had been terminated and why and they just kept giving me the brush off.

Unless the biddy can see on her computer that your line says 'PASS!' in big red writing, you haven't a HOPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

My line was passing the line test since December 2003 (when I moved in).
    I ordered the free trial option from UTV. The order was rejected...
    Now it fails all the time.
    Do I smell a rat ?

@Eth0_:

Yes I've read those threads!! Unbelievable!!

I tell you Im absolutely livid at the moment. I decided to check all the other 14 houses on my road. So out with phone book , check numbers on Eircom site.... pass, passs, passs... etc etc.
    My house is the only one that fails!!!

I reckon being on the phone, internet, toilet!! when the line test is conducted must have a detrimental effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Well my line has also failed (Sligo); but others close by have passed. The line passed previously on numerous occasions before the "trial" periods appeared.

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

If you have intermittent pass/fail results, trying to get ADSL through a reseller is very likely to result in a lot of banging against a concrete wall. Try persuading Eircom directly instead. Their products are more expensive but it's better than spending days getting nowhere with a reseller. It is a fact that many people with ADSL installed show FAIL on their line test, me included. I just happened to order it a month when it passed.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eth0_
    Unless the biddy can see on her computer that your line says 'PASS!' in big red writing, you haven't a HOPE.

True statement.

Can they do a broadband line test there and then?

Was through to 3 differnet numbers. Eventually I was talking to sales again. Told them my story.
    "oh your line can pass and fail on different occassions coz they may be doing upgrade work on the exchange"
    Surely then my neighbours lines would fail aswell??

She said oh we can do a prequal line test here and now.

Line still failed.

Is this true that they can do this? Im not convinced that sales can do a prequal line test ie send a pulse down the line there and then--i reckon its just them looking up their stupid database again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my line has been failing since last sept. i think that i'm actually a coupke of hundred meters past the 3.5k mark but vthe lines start failing about 1.5k down the road. i know a couple of eircon engineeers and they tell me that broadband would work on the line fine BUT eircom insist that the test is passed (which i beleive test the line to 10mb my lines fine to 5mb ). i think that comreg need to make the test reults more transparent so that people know what they are looking at. What really p***es me off is bt in the uk are testing the same new ! sensitive ! technology upto 10 kms from the exchange at the moment as far as i can see eircom just don't want to sell stuff to the punters cos they know most of us won't use eircom.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

According to Eicon I could not get an ISDN line. But I am using one. ISDN line rental is Sh1t! but I still pay it. Nothing is impossible :D

OHP

Originally posted by OHP
    According to Eicon I could not get an ISDN line. But I am using one. ISDN line rental is Sh1t! but I still pay it. Nothing is impossible :D

OHP

How did you get them to install it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Looks like disconnecting the phone with the caller id function did the trick :) My line passed today and i immediately ordered the IOL 3 month trial. Now i can reconnect my phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

i dont get it why do i always fail whats rong with my line when i got isdn i got a new line and that failed also and it is new i dont get it whats up?

Originally posted by huge
    i dont get it why do i always fail whats rong with my line when i got isdn i got a new line and that failed also and it is new i dont get it whats up?

Plain and simple m8, the network infrastructure ie the copper wiring that carries your telephone signal has rotted away to such a degree that its no longer is suitable to carry Broadband signals, in any other country except Ireland of course your line would be capable of carrying the signal, its just eircon are a load of Bollocks who has this country by the short and curlies, always has and always will im afraid, so what they say goes

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

My line has been failing 4 ever ... just tried the test last friday week and what do you know PASS! Immediately got on to estab BT to order their 16g package ( my own little personal screw you to €ircon ).
    Have provisional go live €ircon date 4 July 12..... fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

Originally posted by shinzon
    Plain and simple m8, the network infrastructure ie the copper wiring that carries your telephone signal has rotted away to such a degree that its no longer is suitable to carry Broadband signals, in any other country except Ireland of course your line would be capable of carrying the signal, its just eircon are a load of Bollocks who has this country by the short and curlies, always has and always will im afraid, so what they say goes

Shin

god i jope they get them selves sorted

Advertisement