Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which IDE RAID card?

• 24-06-2003 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to get an IDE RAID card soon, either the HighPoint RocketRAID 133 or the Promise FastTrak-TX2000

I can't see anything to differentiate between them technically. Both are 2 channel ATA133 and support RAID 0,1 and 10. However, the Promise is nearly €25 dearer than the Highpoint card. I would see Promise as a more reputable brand, but I don't know if this justifies the difference in price. I have had a look at both manufacturers' websites, and while the Promise website is more professional looking, they both do provide updated drivers and firmware.

Does anybody have any experience of either of these cards, or does anyone have any informed opinion that might help me make my decision?

Thanks,
    Colin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The highpoint one seems to have some sort of processor on it(could be just BIOS). Its cheaper and seems the better option to me....

There are links to reviews for the cards there, you could read them and that might make your mind up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Yeah - the links to those reviews don't work though. I have read an article on Tomshardware.com that compared 8 different IDE RAID cards, but it didn't put one above the other really.
    Now I know that I can google for reviews for these cards elsewhere on the net, but then anyone who posted pretty much anything on the technology boards here could have found the answers they're looking for that way too. I'm interested to know if anyone here has any experience of the cards or opinions on them!

Advertisement