Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop advice

• 24-06-2003 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

In the market for a laptop. Wanna use it for programming and web dev mainly (Graphics + Flash) if it was capable of playing games as well that would be handy :)

Yes yes get a desktop ... .

I want it for college as well soooooo anyone ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

wait a week or two for a new alienware, prepare to pay a lot of money but its worth it I know. www.alienware.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah I was looking at there laptops. How big are they ? They arent one of those huge bulky ones are they ?

They do look a tad pricey though :(

Was hoping for more around 1200 - 1500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

1200-1500, go for a dell, but it will definately not play any new games and it will struggle with graphics programs like photoshop or flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you want a jack of all trades and still get a bit of a bargain PC World is the place to go...... And I am not crazy before you say it!!!!

I just bought one last week (my second advent) and it is a savage machine. I read 3Dmark 2001SE and got a score of 7000 which is very impressive for a laptop. The model is an Advent 7017.

Spec as follows:

3.06GHz Pentium 4
    512mb Ram
    64mb Mobility Radeon 9000
    40Gb Hard Disk
    15.1 inch screen
    24x CDRW\DVD
    802.1b PCMCIA card

This retails at €2000 if you buy it in dublin, if you take a trip up to Sprucefield Retail park in Lisburn (just south of Belfast on the main road) you will get it for £1,299 or €1,850 depending on the exchange rate.:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

could get lucky and aldi r lidil could have another on sale .. got mine a while ago and its flying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Have a look at the second hand market aswell, for programming and flash you won't need too much power. something around the 1GHz mark would have you laughing merrilly. Plus it'd be pretty cheap.
    My own lappy has a 700MHz P3 with 256MB Ram and a 16 MB graphics card. It can handle pretty much anything I throw at it :)
    It even managed to run C&C Generals! (albiet pretty damn slowly!)
    It plays Unreal Tournament well and I've never had any trouble with it that I didn't cause myself (formatting your HDD when you have different partitions and a modified MBR can cause trouble :))
    I use it for programming and Web Dev aswell (HTML coding mainly) and it'll take about three mins to compile about 5 fairly hefty .java files (Using the latest J2SDK).
    All in all I'm perfectly happy with mine and seeing as I got it as a 21st gift it wouldn't have cost more than E600. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The Alienware looks great butthe advent is cheaper and higher spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have been throwing random games at it and it performing very well....

I was running it against a 1.8 P4 desktop with a Gainward 64mb Geforce 4 TI4200 Golden Sample, in the benchmark tests for Unreal Championship it performed within 20% on the Flyby tests and bet it by 20% on the Bot Match tests... The golden sample perfoms way above average 4200's........

Even ran the Doom 3 E3 leak on it and squeezed 20 fps on average.

NICE :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Originally posted by elexes
    could get lucky and aldi r lidil could have another on sale .. got mine a while ago and its flying

Any idea what sort of time frame it is until that happens again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

If your not too fussy about the machines performance, dabs.com have a couple of pretty cheap deals on a Toshiba and a Fujitsu Siemens at the moment.

The toshiba satellite 1410-s102 (Celeron 1.6, 128MB RAM, 20GB HD, 14.1"tft) is UK£586 - or approx €850 (inc vat)

The Fujitsu Siemens C1020s (Celeron 1.5, 128MB RAM, 20GB HD, 14.1"TFT) is UK£499 - or approx €722 (inc VAT)

Both machines come with built in sound, modem, lan. The tosh is slightly heavier but comes with a better graphics card, a DVD drive and a Li-Ion battery.

I reckon those deals will be hard to beat even second hand.

Regards

XDA

• Advertisement
Advertisement