Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Pack.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

There's nothing wrong with being a newbie, everyone was once. So if you want to know how something works or how to do something then go to the Newbie FAQ forum. Your question may have been asked and answered already by other people but if it's not then just post up your question. That's what the Newbie FAQ forum is for, it wouldn't work if people didn't ask questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

Maybe all this could be sent to the newbie in a automated PM as soon as they register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Use Google to educate yourself on any given topic before posting on it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by ironbrew
    Maybe all this could be sent to the newbie in a automated PM as soon as they register?

wow ironbrew, ya think thats what I meant when I wrote:

"I intend to clean up this thread and put it as a link in the welcome message (so smile, you're on Candid Camera Thread)."

Oh I've just thought of a good one... "Read the thread from the start before jumping in and posting"

:p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by fisty
    Use Google to educate yourself on any given topic before posting on it.

....and use this new found knowledge to act superior and ignore all logical reasoning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ironbrew
    How about a (pop-up) pop-quiz before each of their first 5 posts? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

If it's possible send the noob an automated PM once they've reached a certain amount of posts(10?.. 20?..) saying something along the lines of;
    Congrats on your XXth post, hope your enjoying boards.ie blah blah blah. Don't hesitate to ask the admins for help. etc. etc.

Sounds corny but this kind of interaction could boost newbie morale greatly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Back on topic please guys.... what are the top ten things you would hvae wanted explained to you when you arrived and if you can explain them that would be great too!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Definetly all that kitten cake stuff and ninjas, a lot of the other stuff is common sense for most people, especially if they have used other forums, but stuff like the gathering is boards unique and could be confusing.

Also, tell them, for the love of God, dont post on the cs forum until you have lurked for at least 3 months....AT LEAST!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

My top 8 things I would have wanted/needed to know (sorry Dev, me hungry, lunchtime -hunger dictates I don't have time to think of 2 more :p

1) Read the rules at the top of each forum- compulsory ( I think all the general rules such as treatment of mods, spam etc. would be in these rather then duplicating them in a seperate noob rules section)
    2) How to change your avatar, profile etc. i.e User CP - or just simplify to read the FAQ
    3) How to recognise and deal with a flame/troll
    4) How to use the search feature and bring to their attention that it actually does exist!
    5) Definitely explain the whole kittencake/ninja thingy - I burnt more than a few of my precious braincells when I first encountered this:D
    6) Each post must be relevant to the particular board it's posted in e.g don't post a request for a recipe in the personal issue boards etc.
    7) A general brief description of boards, it's aims, it's hierarchy - mods & admins etc., supporter packs available etc.
    8) A general warning that all posts should be on topic and not a personal attack on another user

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

A list of links to older things like Glenstal and associated things would be nice, it took me ages to hunt those threads down.

They're good examples of resident humour, Boards "community-ness", fill you in on some of those Gathering cards, and show exactly what folks think of muppets, and perhaps serve as "don't be like this" warnings...

Heh, why am I posting here, I'm but a n00b myself...

Advertisement