Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elections 2004

Options
  • 24-06-2003 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

Local, Presidential and European elections are all due in 2004 and with the growth in population we can expect some significant revisions in constituencies arising. Personally, I'm going for a 3-constituency arrangement BMW (4 seats), South & East (5) and Dublin (4 - maybe including Wicklow). Of course in Northern Ireland (3) will Gerry Adams try to replace John Hume.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/920424?view=Eircomnet
    EU constituency review could affect some MEPs
    Tuesday, 24th June, 2003

The Government has asked the Chief Justice, Mr Justice Keane, to appoint a constituency commission to review the Irish constituencies in the European Parliament.

With the number of Irish seats in the parliament set to fall to 13 next year from 15, when 10 new member-states join the EU, the Commission will decide which constituencies will lose a seat.

The process will be closely watched by all the parties and by independents, and the outcome of the review could place some MEPs under extreme pressure to maintain their seats.

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Mr Cullen, has asked Mr Justice Keane to convene the commission to consider the results of the 2002 census and a Central Statistics Office report due next week on "population classified by area".

Mr Cullen wrote to Mr Justice Keane on June 17th asking him to establish the commission as soon as possible.

He said legislation would be required to give effect to the reduction in representation and any other changes in the constituencies that the Commission might seek.

Mr Justice Keane will appoint a High Court judge to chair the commission.

Its members will include the Ombudsman, Ms Emily O'Reilly, the secretary-general of Mr Cullen's Department, Mr Niall Callan, and the clerks of the Dáil and Seanad.

The commission is independent of the Government. However, there is open speculation in political circles that the review of constituencies would see Munster and Leinster or Dublin lose a seat.

In such a scenario, Connacht-Ulster would not lose any of its three seats.

Munster's representation would fall to three seats from four in this case.

Either Leinster or Dublin would lose one of its three seats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Will check the figures later.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1007/euparliament.html
    Irish EU constituencies realigned
    October 7, 2003 (14:16)

Both Leinster and Munster are to lose a seat in the European Parliament, under a redrawing of the constituencies announced today.

The Independent Boundary Commission has also recommended that Clare should move into the old Connaught-Ulster constituency, and that the constituencies be renamed North-West, South and East.

Dublin retains its four seats, but contrary to speculation has not had any other counties added to it.

Attention is now focusing on the political implications, with potential candidates likely to emerge over the coming weeks now the boundaries are known.

The loss of Clare from the Southern constituency will not help sitting Fianna Fáil MEP Gerry Collins, whose base is in Limerick, although it is not yet clear if Independent Pat Cox, currently President of the European Parliament, will stand again.

There is continuing speculation that former Taoiseach John Bruton of Fine Gael is likely to contest the election, although it might suit the party better if he stood in Dublin, rather than the East constituency which covers his native Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

is there a presidential election? i know there is a rumour going around that labour are putting a candidate forward. can this be confirmed.

apparently is courtsey in ireland to leave the president sit a second term if the president wishes. i say get the "provo in the park" out

Originally posted by solice
    is there a presidential election?
    Yes, the Presidential election was held shortly after the general election in 1997.
    Originally posted by solice
    apparently is courtsey in ireland to leave the president sit a second term if the president wishes. i say get the "provo in the park" out
    Not quite. The President may remain for a second term if no one else is nominated (I think this is how Hilary got his second term). The President can also self-nominate.

Believe me there will be an opposer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Originally posted by Victor
    Believe me there will be an opposer.

here is hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

North West (3)
    Dana
    Marion Harkin
    Noel Treacy

South (3)
    Brian Crowley
    Pat Cox
    Bernard Allen

East (3)
    John Browne
    John Bruton
    AN Other

Dublin (4)
    Liz O'Donnell
    Eoin Ryan
    Proinsías De Rossa
    Ivana Bacik

Am I right?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Proinsías De Rossa
    Isn't he retiring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Not so far as I know - just got renominated the week ned before last along with Bacik.

Niall Andrews and Mary Bannotti are both retiring in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by Victor
    Isn't he retiring?
    Nope - He's definitely going forward again this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Are you sure about Liz O'Donnell going to Europe?

And, what about Patricia McKenna? She's standing again isn't she (hope not - my prayers have been answered)?

The Dublin and West constituencies will be over represented by about 10% and South and East underrepresented by similar figures. Adding Kildare North (Dáil Constituency) or Wicklow to Dublin and/ or Longford to west, would balance things out there.

Otherwise it's down to three constituencies, which FF don't want (they are a guaranteed 1, maybe 2 seats with four constituencies, but no more with three). These three constituencies would mean essentially Dublin, Meath and Louth as one and the rest of the country split on a Northeast / Southwest axis with huge (geographically) constituencies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Seanán

<moderated>
    Copy of the same article posted here

Go read it there id you want to see it.

Seanán : please don't multi-post the same message across multiple threads.
    </moderated>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Michael Noonan, everyone's favourite former Fine Gael leader might go in Munster.

Advertisement