Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB and serial port

Options
  • 24-06-2003 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to learn how to control a piece of hardware using the serial interface. The hardware in question has a serial interface, and has its own protocol for interfacing with the PC. E.G I must output 01hex in order to set the device into read mode, etc.
    Does anyone know of any good tutorials or books which deal with the topic??
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I did this years ago and found that VB (Well I think it was VB Professional 3? Been so long) they had basically screwed up the Comm widget and it was by no means realible.

I just ended up doing the stuff in DOS, which was a lot easier.

Before you start communicating with the machine you need to find out a couple of things on how the device communicates (eg. XON/OFF/DSR/Speed/Parity) and some devices use cross over cables and others use straight through.

For starters try messing around with a Telnet connected to COM1: (whatever) and see if you can get feedback sending the information in that way.

Looking around for anything that may help.

http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/resources/intro-sc.html#232c

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/media/pcplus/pdf/191/191.programmers%20world.vb.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Hi there

If you are using VB6 you could simply use comm control.
    MSCOMM32.cox

I have used it to create a program to talk to my PDA and modem and it works fine.

just do a search on "VB COMM" you will get lots of info.

Advertisement