Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland dearer than Norway?

• 24-06-2003 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

This may not be a Euro price-hike, but still... :)

As a bit of background information: In Norway, (where myself originates) a pint (0.4 litre actually, 0.5 litre at best) would set you back the odd €6.50 and a 20-pack of sticks costs €7.80.

Sitting at the pub this afternoon reading The Evening Herald I stumbled upon a Dell ad. Which reminded me of my (Norwegian) website where I run Dell banner ads. On them, they promote a Dell model costing NOK 6,462 (which is about €790).

Once home, out of curiosity I compared that model to what Dell in Ireland has on offer. I compared the Dell.ie offer to the same Dell.no offer (they're practically the same). The seemingly same model here (in Ireland) costs €895.

So, in disbelief (Ireland dearer than Norway???) I sent the following email off to Dell:
    I've compared a PC between the Irish Dell web site and the Norwegian Dell web site and would be obliged to get an explanation as to how the Irish PC is dearer than the same PC offered in Norway, bearing in mind that the general levels of cost are lower in Ireland than in Norway.

The models compared:
    --Dell.ie: (J25) Dimension 2400c 2.2GHz
    --Dell.no: Dimension 2400 - Basic (24001DA)

Features (as selected on Dell.ie/Dell.no):

Prosessor: Intel Celeron 2200 MHz

Support pack: 1 year collect and return

Memory: 256mb (inc. 128mb special offer, exp. 25/6/03)

Hard drive: 80gb (inc. 40gb special offer, exp. 25/6/03)

Monitor:
    Dell.ie: Dell 17" Value
    Dell.no: Dell E772P TCO 95 17"

Optical drives:
    Dell.ie: 16x DVD with PowerDVD software
    Dell.no: 16x DVD

Speakers: Harman Kardon 395 Speakers with Subwoofer

Modem:
    Dell.ie: Eicon Diva ISDN Passive Adapter
    Dell.no: Eicon Diva 2.01 [Passive] 128K ISDN Modem

Country specific:
    Dell.ie: Dell Picture Studio Standard Edition

Total for system inc. VAT (Dell.ie: 21%, Dell.no: 24%) and delivery:
    Dell.ie: €895.41
    Dell.no: €789.98 (NOK 6,462 at 8.18)

Other components (mouse, keyboard, on-board graphics card etc.) are the same. The software language selected was English.

All I want to know is why the Irish model, seemingly similiar - cost €105 more in Ireland than in Norway? (The difference ex VAT is €102.)

Best regards,
    [Me]
    The email was sent to Dell UK/Ireland and Dell Norway. I'll post again if I get an answer :) I sent the email to Dell UK/Ireland General Sales and Dell Norway Personal/SME Sales departments.

There might, of course, be a perfectly good explanation for the Irish PC to be dearer - all I want to know is why!! :D

/T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

VAT ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Go Pepsiman, bait those multinationals!

They were recently forced to stop using prison labor to break up recycled PCs by public outcry.
    . "I can only imagine that the reason they are doing this is because they've seen the kind of citizen pressure that can be brought to bear against unsustainable practices like this,"

Full Story and Google search

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jfk

well, Ireland has become the most expensive country in the Euro zone (probably in the world the way things are going:D ) so it should come as no surprise. With Dell, it's blatant since you can get cheaper systems in France for instance, with better specs, and the PCs are made in .....Ireland! And the VAT is the same so that's not it.
    face it we really live in a Rip-Off country:mad:

Advertisement