Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I look too young for my age!

• 25-06-2003 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Ppl keep telling me I look young for my age and I'm getting sick of it!
    I'm 23 and I nearly always get asked for ID in pubs even when friends who are younger than me don't.

First I thought this was a minor nuisance and that I'd be glad of my youthful looks when I get older but now, given that appearances are so important in society, I wonder whether my appearance could be a disadvantage, especially whilst job searching. Apart from looking young, I look reasonably pleasant (!) but sometimes I worry that ppl would not take me seriously in the work place or that they would assume that I have less experience than I do and therefore award the job to a more "mature" looking person!

So, what do ye think?
    Has anybody else had similar experiences?
    Any tips for appearing older?? (Jeez, that sounds so lame:))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Hrmmm
    I have to wear shirt, shoes and trousers (as opposed to casual dress) to work some days and I find that a plain combination of those gets me less hassle. I think the trick might be to avoid the fancy shirts and stick with something plainer.

I do have the problem sometimes. When I ask people, they vary in response to saying I look about 20-26.

I'm 26 and it is a pain. Especially in work when you ask people to take what you ae saying seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I also look young for my age, but it is becomming less of an annoyance as I approach 31 :)

Probably my most mortifying moment was being mistaken for a college fresher-as a 26 year old new staff member. After that I started to dress more formally and it seemed to do the trick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I guess faraway hills are green, but believe me, being 22 and constantly mistaken for 26-28 years old isn't much fun either - and I'd probably give my right arm to look younger than I actually am. Ho hum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i know a 2 guys who are 22 and are completely bald.
    count your blessings, as for the work thing I wouldn't worry about it too much, if a company HR person or manager has a brain in their head they'll hire you on skills, unless you're dealing with clients/customers a lot, then it might have some negative effects.

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Probably my most mortifying moment was being mistaken for a college fresher-as a 26 year old new staff member. After that I started to dress more formally and it seemed to do the trick...

Exactly the same thing happened to me this year.
    Both staff and students mis-took me for a fresher. Took me along time to live it down/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

1687tellox.jpg?3825

Im 15.
    I look 10.

but hopefully,when im 30, I'll look 25...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

aww cutsie, you should have got a part as a hobbit.

A french guy said I looked 28 yesterday..grr..Im 25...I still carry ID with me everywhere though. Just in the hope..

But tbh I wouldn't worry about it I used to look really young for my age it caught up on me last year..oil of ulay I think, or giving up the smokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

have you tried stilts? and/or a fake moustache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Smokes'll do it. Not that I smoke.

Since I turned 16 people've been thinkin i'm young 20's... but long hair and a worn out eyes can do that. It's actually real handy for now and I've a young enough lookin face so I think I'll age into how I should look at that age. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What does it matter if you look 10 or 15? Doesn't change your life in any way (read: you still can't drink).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hmmm.... I used to be told I looked old for my age (from 14 upwards) until I got to where I am now, 18, and I seem to have just stayed looking the same :)

Although I do tend to get into clubs without being asked for ID... i dunno.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Jesus rob, you're 22? 0_o

Im 19, but i look like im 12. I don't really care :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

some people have said i look 2-4 years younger than i actually am, doesnt really bother me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by smiles
    Although I do tend to get into clubs without being asked for ID... i dunno.
    << Fio >>
    that's called being a woman
    damn bouncers:mad:

my mates brother looks about 21 & he's pushing on for 30 now... not sure what my point is...

just grow some *proper* facial hair

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Last year I was in hospital, one of the nurse's was on the phone taking to a doctor about me. He must have asked her my age, she looked over at me and looked me up and down, then she says, about 16 or 17.... I was 24 at the time...
    I never get asked for ID at pubs/clubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I've been mistaken for anything from a 22 to a 25 yr old since I was 18, only 19 now. I know I look old, its probably the whiskey and marlboro's. I fear I'll look thirty by the time I finish my degree. Which is weird because before I started college I looked about 15. Getting asked for id now is a rarity, then it was de rigeur.

I wouldn't bother with facial hair, I think proper looking stubble suffices.

There's no ironclad advice really, just be thankful in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

So, what do ye think?
    Has anybody else had similar experiences?
    Any tips for appearing older?? (Jeez, that sounds so lame:)) [/B]

grow a tash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I got asked for id on my 25th birthday at Howl at the Moon. Thankfully (or not) these days, I rarely if ever, get asked for id.

As some have said, think long term on this one. When your 40 you'll probably still look like your 30.

But if it's short term aging you want: smoke too many cigarettes, get very little sleep, get a job that is incredibly stressful.

Your hair, face and newly found cynicism will convince anyone you're older. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by amp
    Your hair, face and newly found cynicism will convince anyone you're older. ;)

And when you get to this stage, I’m betting you’ll be back on here asking what creams and pills you can take to look 22 again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Getting asked for id in pubs usually has more to do with the bouncer liking the look of you rather than how old you actually look. I'm 21 and I definitely don't look 17 (even though I look younger than my age). If I dress right and salute the bouncer going in I never get asked for id, if I look dodgy/out of it (rarely drunk but get mistaken for drunk when I look tired) then I will get asked for id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I used to look quite young for my age. I still do to a great extent, although my various vices have, over the years, taken their toll and the edge off my once cherubic visage.

If you really want to do something to give the impression of looking older, I found that dressing more formally, as sunbeam suggested, helped. But as much as you’ll hate my saying this, I suggest you grin and bare it, for the most part. It’s a disadvantage that will last for only a few more years, after which all your rapidly aging and balding friends will hate you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm the opposite. I look older than I am. Then again, that goatee was the best damn fake ID I ever had aged 17. I've been told that whenever I shave it off I look realllllly young though.

I rarely ever get asked for ID. Then again, I usually acknowledge bouncers on the way to the door and don't stop and look timid or unsure if I'll get in.

It is a bit of a mixed bag. I've been frequently mistaken for late 20s. I'm 24 now. When I was 16 I got mistaken for about 28, etc. Whilst it does wonders with older members of the opposite sex, girls your own age think you're too old n'stuff initially and are (well .. were at the time anyway) less inclined to interact with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was always assumed to be much older than i am. When i was 12 i got into an argument with a much older girl. She thought i was 18 (her age) and i had a time convincing her i was 12. I doubt the wisdom of that now though... should have said yeah im 18... ho hum :D
    ww)
    These days.. im 23 and i still have people think im older but not so much older.. maybe 26 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Wow! Nice to know I'm not alone!

Some of the suggestions for looking older are funny - I'm sure a bearded woman would definitely grab attention at an interview, if nothing else. :) (Don't know why ppl assumed I woz male!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

im only gone 20 and someone thought my mam was my younger sister and shes 40

so you think you got problems:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

i often get slags about looking young for my age, and i always get asked for id when going into clubs. As I'm only 19 it doesn't bother me too much, i just make sure to bring id with me whenever i go out. I don't really think it matters what age you look like once you're over 18. It shouldn't make any difference in anything you do. You should be hired for a job based on your skills not how old you look.

Strange thing is that when I was 14 i was able to get served in pubs and get into nightclubs without too much hassle at all. I didn't even have a fake id. Have clubs and pubs tightened up that much in the last couple of years? (Its about time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Catsmokinpot
    im only gone 20 and someone thought my mam was my younger sister and shes 40

hmmm .... ;) :ninja:

"younger sister", eh? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vlad_Tepes

you're not alone.... My best friend is looking as if he had 18 years, but he's 29. It's a bit of a problem for him usually. But he discovered that the teenage girls kinda like him. So, he has a gorgeous girlfriend now, barely 18 (it's legal)...and we are all jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Divine

Hey man im 20 and i still cant get served fags most places, as for pubs....ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

People always say I look about 3 years older than I really am (im 19), tis great I was out for my birthday on tuesday night, forgot my ID and still got in everywhere! :D
    My best mate, though, shes 21 and looks about 16. Bouncers still give her passport a good hard stare when she goes anywhere. She laughs it off, saying that when shes 30 she'll be glad to look younger. Tis the same with another one of my friends. He's 19 and looks 14 :p Everyone in college thinks he looks like Harry Potter cos of messy brown hair and glasses! suppose to be still called that at 19 must be a pain in the ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'm 22 and everyone thinks I'm about 17. I know I'm quite short and a teeny bit underweight but I don't think that takes 5 years off me. But it doesn't bother me really, I just carry my passport and IDs when I go out and I love the look on a bouncers face when he pulls me up and gives me hassle than realises how old I am and has to let me through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by simu
    (Don't know why ppl assumed I woz male!)

This isn't a text message, why do you hve to say 'woz'. You do realise that w a and s are right besides each other? I should start a personal issue thread about my misgrievances.

Anyway, I look real young for my age, and it was annoying for a while because I am a year younger then most of my friends because I started school a year earlier. One of my friends will be 19 while I'm still 17 etc,. This was real annoying when everyone was turning 18 and getting into places and I never wanted to try. My general is quite hard to get served but once I started trying I've only been refused once and its not an issue anymore.
    But the strange thing I dont look old at all. There isn't one single sign of facial hair on me, and my arms and upper body are devoid of hair.... But when I told someone it was my 17th birthday, that said they thought I was much older...it boogles my mind.

What was my point again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

My sister is 27 and was in a pertrol station with her son who's 5 and she was asked for Id For fags by some 16 year old behind the counter,i gave her a good slagging for that :)

(Don't know why ppl assumed I woz male!)

I didn't, only girls argue with me as much as you!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by sykeirl
    I didn't, only girls argue with me as much as you!

:)
    I disagree:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

The problem isn't looking younger than your age, it's looking older :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by TacT
    The problem isn't looking younger than your age, it's looking older :p
    I think you have the wrong end of the stick there but i can see where your coming from

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ditto simu. People occasionally say "you'll appreciate it when you're older" to me, but that doesn't help me much. Looking 16 or younger when I'm close to 21 is fncking bent.

I suppose what people say about appreciating it in later life is true, but what am I supposed to do in the meantime? Take up paedophilia? Do the groundwork with 12 year olds with lots of potential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Urgh, at least you don't lack height as well. I'm 17, have stopped growing and am 5'4". I'll forever look like a child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Originally posted by Sangre
    This isn't a text message, why do you hve to say 'woz'. You do realise that w a and s are right besides each other? I should start a personal issue thread about my misgrievances.

Sangre criticises HER spelling, then goes on to say.........

My general is quite hard to get served but once I started trying I've only been refused once and its not an issue anymore.

Sorry, but *I* found that hilarious I was literally, ROTFLMAO, :D

Anyways lol.......
    Im 25, when i was in my mid-teens, i was ALWAYS told i looked about 20, got into pubs / clubs no problem, NOW however, its so weird, im told i look YOUNGER than 25!!!! And i promise, i do NOT have a picture in my attic either! ;)

B :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

Well i have the same problem, I'm 15 and i look so young :/

http://members.boards.ie/boober/boobles.gif

I look a bit too tanned too :(

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    Sorry, but *I* found that hilarious I was literally, ROTFLMAO, :D

Uh no, I wasn't insulting her spelling at all.
    I was pointing out my annoyance towards the use of the text speak on boards in general. And I think you will find that the vast majority will agree with me on this

Seriously, did you not read my post?

sorry sangre lol, dint mean to piss u off :)
    T'was just the whole thing about "your general finding it hard to get served" that had me rofl ;)

'tis my childish dirtah moind lol :)

B

Lol, now I get it, I admit that was funny.
    I thought you were laughing at the whole incorrect typing etc.

I forgive you :)

lol :) NHF mate

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Man U Babe
    Tis the same with another one of my friends. He's 19 and looks 14 Everyone in college thinks he looks like Harry Potter cos of messy brown hair and glasses! suppose to be still called that at 19 must be a pain in the ass!

Yeah that's me. I thought I had stamped out that Harry Potter thing. Grg Arg! I never thought you actually looked older...

Back to the main looking too young problem, Em have you em hit puberty yet, cause that's my problem, as a result you don't actually look any older. If you haven't hit puberty (you'll know), go to your doctor, there are things they can give you, that'll moke you go through puberty, and maybe you might need an operation to... get things down. Especially those 2 guys who look young.

I wish I had started to sort this out when I was younger, that way I wouldn't get slags from my 'friends' :D
    Bu now it's cool cause I'm gettin taller, Yippee!

Well heres me I was just 17 or there abouts...I think.

http://members.boards.ie/sangre/me.jpg

Note the lack of facial hair :/

Edit: I just noticed it looks like I dont have pupils in that photo, trés weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yay! I didn't get ID'd tonight at the pub though my friend who is 27 did :):):)

I didn't think "woz" was text speak as it takes the same amount of time to write it as the word "was". In fact, with predictive texting, it's easier to use correct spelling.
    I used "woz" to be humorous(so that people wouldn't think I was angry they assumed I was male) ... and my attempt failed miserably! Communication is so complicated:)

I didn't think "woz" was text speak as it takes the same amount of time to write it as the word "was".

No....see the letters w,a and s all tightly packed together, while Mr. O is all the way on the other side of Senor Keyboard. Also Dr.Z is way at the bottom right away from Mr. O...That is not a happy collection of letters..
    But I'll let you off as this is a first time offence

/me wags fingers

• Advertisement
Advertisement