Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google AdSense

Options
  • 25-06-2003 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Launched last week, it's looking very interesting.

https://www.google.com/adsense/

It should definitely help out a lot of small time webmasters to pay for their hosting costs at least. They're displaying ads that relate to your site's content, based on google's analysis of your website and pages.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans, especially after the huge success of adwords.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Thanks for posting the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

No probs.

It's working out really great so far, joined last night - accepted this morning - showing ads on my site a few seconds later.

And already the ads being shown are targetted towards the audience I have. It'll be interesting to see how much money this makes.

Didn't adwords make like 750 million or something last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I put it up on my site on saturday night and since then I've been very impressed with the results.

The great thing is the ads are highly relevant to whats on the page and they are unobtrusive.

There's a huge discussion about it here with comments from Google staff

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum81/725-1-15.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

They are really well targetted for you Terminator! You're definitely going to make a killing.

Damn my international audience, but it's still going well for me. Although two things

a) some of my text link advertising I have already is throwing off some of the ads google is serving up. Although i might get rid of my other text link advertising now.

b) a lot of my competitors' ads are coming up on my site. Although I can block them if i wish.

Yeah I'm getting a lot of competitors adverts but I don't really see them as competitive as my site is quite unusual and not for everyone - in which case stragglers are welcome to click the more mainstream competitors links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Google's Adsense is an interesting idea, especially for sites that are not blatently commercial. I've rolled it out over the static pages on WhoisIreland.com. However so far I have yet to see any click-throughs. On the pages I tested, some adverts were Irish and a number of Irish hosting companies came up on the main page. It will be interesting to see how this develops considering that the site has about 68000 static webpages. There is at least the possibility of one click-through. :)

Regards...jmcc

Jmcc : it may take a couple of days for google to crawl your site. As far as I know when the adsense code is displayed on a page that google hasn't cached yet it displays public service adverts that don't earn money. At the same time the script seems to trigger a visit by the googlebot so your page is soon cached for the next time.

You should also use the tower ad as high up on the page as possible - as people are reporting much better clickthrough rates with this - they also seem to be more relevant.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Terminator
    Jmcc : it may take a couple of days for google to crawl your site. As far as I know when the adsense code is displayed on a page that google hasn't cached yet it displays public service adverts that don't earn money.

Google (and the rest) continually crawl the site as it is the authoritative hub for .ie websites and domains. Though I've seen a few more Google Mediapartners hits. So far the Mediapartners bot seems to be hitting a few pages rather than the whole thing. The MSNbot is currently hammering the site so I think that there will be a play by Microsoft on the search engine market soon.

You should also use the tower ad as high up on the page as possible - as people are reporting much better clickthrough rates with this - they also seem to be more relevant.

Yep switching to the tower/skyscraper format is probably a better idea. The Irish adverts seem to be appearing which shows some level of IP integration. The general format of the pages is simple and I have a few more things to add to the design over the next week (one of them is the country in which each website is hosted) so I'll make the tower/skyscraper change over the next few days.

Either way it is a good program but will it pay for the bandwidth? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Implemented it on sunday on a clients site!!!!

Made €27 on sunday, €36 Monday, Tuesday€30, €27 Today so far!!!!

Great idea - better suited to sites with him volume of traffic.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that they give you "a percentage", but we don't really know what that percentage really is. Realistically you could be making a lot more!

It also states that you can only have one of this adds per page - however I have spotted that sites like www.theregister.co.uk have more than one. I hope this isnt a trend, that the big boys can do what they want everyone else has to do as the rultes say.

But all in all - excellent idea for both advertisers and google. Google are about to launch a major marketing campaign to get people to sign up for their adwords service. They are specifically aiming it at the joe soap and not techies. Yet again the are building a global brand that people wil easily recognise.

Your add not only has the potential to be on Google, but on thousands of related sites worl wide - brilliant idea. fair play to em!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sounds good... but what exactly do Google get out of this? Why are they paying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by PiE

Coz they're being paid by the advertisers ?????

Originally posted by PiE

Google gets advertising revenue. It give the site owner a percentage of this. The advertiser pays on click through and knows that the adverts will appear on webpages that are more relevant and hence there is a higher chance of click through than on an untargeted banner advert. In theory, everybody wins.

The targeting of adverts is reasonable - most of the adverts appearing here are domain/internet hosting related.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement