Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some ISDN questions

Options
  • 25-06-2003 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Ok, Considering getting ISDN as broadband won't be available in my area for a while and starting to lose patience with my (fairly decent) 56k connection.

Basically, I'm not used to installing new cards etc so the idea of getting an internal modem is a bit awkward.

From the few posts I've read, it seems there is a fairly large difference, so would I be making a big mistake getting the "draytek minivigor 128" off the Eircom site for 99 euros at same time as installation?

My main concern is gaming, so any ideas as to what kind of ping i would get with this usb modem would be greatly appreciated, just to see if the upgrade from 56k is really worthwhile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

I had two analog lines here, and only copped recently that the rental on 1 isdn line is cheaper than 2 analog :rolleyes: so i upgraded immediatley, cos DSL wont be anywhere near here for a year anyways... and ive noticed the ISDN to be a fair bit quicker, VERY noticable when u are downloading stuff. was getting about 3.5 - 4k per second with 56k, now getting 7 - 7.5k /s - a near 100% increase!

DO NOT BUY THAT DRAYTEK EXT USB MODEM off EIRCON for €99, go to www.komplett.ie and buy one of the ASUS PCI cards for way cheaper, they are way better and they are a doddle to install, only difference between it and the USB model is, basically u have to open the case put in the card and screw in a screw :)

Thats my opinion anyways.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

if it's for gaming then don't buy that eircom modem. Get either an asus pci or an eicon diva. I've one of each and they're excellant. I think you can get the eicon diva from itdirect in parliament street. I slightly prefere the asus but there doesnt seem to be any clear winner.
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

atm the i'm using the mini vigor 128k using 1 channel 64k and on the radox server i get a ping of 60-100 but with a eircon diva ppl have been getting 40-60.

i have an eicon diva just waiting for my new motherboard to arrive and i should have it up and running.

can any1 tell me is there a difference in download speeds with eicon diva compared to the mini vigor? i'm currently getting 7k a second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

So is this the modem I should be getting for lower pings?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?ck=1&r=1&action=info&s=pl&p=2156&AvdID=1&CatID=12&GrpID=1

Just a bit confusing, appreciate the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

this ones just as good only cheaper

[edit] i just noticed the asuscom wont be in stock untill at least 2 weeks time :( [/edit]

• Advertisement

isn't it just my luck that i didn't see that when i was buying mine for gods sake i cudn't use that 20 euro for something else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You can get an eircon diva at www.sapphiresystems.co.uk for 25 euro including p&p.

arggh the horror i paid 53 euros cheers for pointing that out! helped me a lot (now thats sarcasim)

Advertisement